transmission oil

/ transmission oil #1  

Brooklyn Bob

Tractor
Bolens G174
Do any of you guys run the modern trans/hydraulic oil in your Iseki. I have a TX1500F(bOLENS g174). The owners manual states a SAE80W. I live in Michigan and use the tractor for plowing snow in the winter. I had a 1950 Ferguson and the 80w oil made the hydraulics so slow in the cold weather.

/ transmission oil #2  
I'm using shell rotella HD in my Bolens/Iseki. It is gl4 rated , j20c, and claims to be suitable where 85w is recommended as well. Its geared, not a hydro. The only difference I've noticed is the hydraulics are quieter at startup when its below 20 degrees F. than with the 80w. As I plow and snow blow with her, I think that's a good thing. If it was much warmer here (upstate, NY) I might stick to the 80w, as I can get it cheaper.

/ transmission oil #3  
There is some debate on this. Manuals for some models recommend 80W. Others universal hydraulic transmission{UTF} fluid. The main concern is the hydraulic pump. The Japanese hydraulic pumps are built for UTF

/ transmission oil #4  
Look up the viscosity specs for your 80w oil. Bet it's about the same as a 20w, maybe 30w automotive engine oil. Then buy a 0w20 auto oil or 0w30 (can get 5w30 at VW and M1 0w30 ESP online) and use it.

It's "80w" because it's rated at 104 F vs. engine oil rated at 212 F.

I was wrong. 80w could be more like 5w40 engine oil. Strange. The transmission oil in my Miata is more like 20w motor oil.

The 5w40 would be far less viscous that the 80w at low temps.

A Gravely I had took 10w30 engine oil in its transmission.

Last edited:
   / transmission oil #5  
I always look for the recommended just in case additives or temperature changes make a difference in viscosity or could eat the seals, if I do not know what that is than I go for the universal product for the task at hand. However in saying that my tractor before the Iseki was a Ford Dexter very old beast and it used straight SAE30 oil for absolutely everything, 40L of it I might add making it an expensive problem when water got into the box.

/ transmission oil #6  
For what it's worth, here's some Iseki lube specs. Bear in mind that the TE3210 is from the same era as the Iseki gray market tractors we see in the USA.

Attachments

• Castrol.pdf
    308.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Mobil.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 176
  • Shell Oil.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Valvoline.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 160