Transmission popping sound in L2550

/ Transmission popping sound in L2550 #1  

MikeInEburg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Greetings - we have an L2550 that has developed a significant popping sound that you both hear and feel in the rear end/differential. My initial thought was the differential lock not fully releasing, but it continues to pop with the lock engaged. This is a standard transmission with shuttle shift. Ideas welcome.
Thanks!
Mike

/ Transmission popping sound in L2550 #2  
Better minds than mine will reply I am sure but here is my experiance. I had a L2250 and you had to kick the differential lock pedal to get it to disengage. Did not matter if going straight or in full turn, are you sure yours is disengaged? How about the hydraulic fluid level? Also my 3pt hitch control would do strange things if left in the full up position(probably out of ajustment), mostly to the loader function.
Good Luck
Dave
Also should have mentioned the hyd. filters, when was the last time they were changed?

/ Transmission popping sound in L2550 #3  
Check your wheel bolts and make sure they are tight, don't forget the bolts that connect the inner rim to the outer rim if you have 2 piece rims.

/ Transmission popping sound in L2550
Thanks for the suggestions - wheel lugs are tight and popping sound remains when differential lock is fully engaged, hence I don't think that this is the cause. I'm beginning to suspect a wheel bearing. Tractor is 18 years old and has been trouble free in all of that time. It has earned a repair.
Mike

/ Transmission popping sound in L2550 #5  
MikeInEburg said:
Thanks for the suggestions - wheel lugs are tight and popping sound remains when differential lock is fully engaged, hence I don't think that this is the cause. I'm beginning to suspect a wheel bearing. Tractor is 18 years old and has been trouble free in all of that time. It has earned a repair.
Mike
Try jacking the back wheels off the ground and then drive them with the brakes on. If the noise is still present I would suspect a bad tooth on the final drive gear rather than a bearing.
larry