Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs
Killer of any tranny is heat. Change the fluid ever 25K and you will be money ahead. Most people never think about tranny fluid but do 3K oil changes like its religion. Like others said, all 3 now have great auto trannys but that was not the case 7 or so years ago.

Chris

Oops. I forgot to include the time element in my initial post to this thread.

I'm looking for an older 3/4 or 1T PU (1999-2003). So which trannies of this vintage have problems?

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #12  
Are we talking Diesel or gas? Chevy and Dodge use different trans on the gas. I know people around here who plow snow have better experience with the Ford or Chevy with the Allison, no where near as good with the Chevy gas or dodge trans.
Diesel power mag also a few issues ago tested the 3 trans and the Ford and Allison ranked higher than the Dodge, but that was not the new trans on the Dodge (Asin I think)

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs
Are we talking Diesel or gas? Chevy and Dodge use different trans on the gas. I know people around here who plow snow have better experience with the Ford or Chevy with the Allison, no where near as good with the Chevy gas or dodge trans.
Diesel power mag also a few issues ago tested the 3 trans and the Ford and Allison ranked higher than the Dodge, but that was not the new trans on the Dodge (Asin I think)

Diesel

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #14  

I'm looking for an older 3/4 or 1T PU (1999-2003). So which trannies of this vintage have problems?

All were about the same with the GM and Ford being a little better than the Dodge Auto's.

Chris

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #15  

Even during that time period they're all about the same. "How it's used" and "the maintenance it see's" is the most important thing for anything mechanical. My 92' Dodge still has the original A518 auto, which is just a 727 3 speed Torqueflite w/ an overdrive unit bolted to the back of it. The biggest difference between it and modern transmission's is that it doesn't have a locking torque converter, a characteristic which creates a lot of heat. That truck spent the first 55k miles of it's life towing a 28ft travel trailer w/ the pick up bed loaded at the same time, I would say around 8k lbs not including the truck, give or take, and it's still working just fine.

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #16  
Even during that time period they're all about the same. "How it's used" and "the maintenance it see's" is the most important thing for anything mechanical. .

In all honesty the allison auto GM used from 2001-2003 is far and away the best trans of that era.Dodge and Ford both had some issues with there autos then,I liked the operation of the Ford 4r100 better than the Dodge 47RE,but the Dodge autos lasted just as long.Since then Ford and Dodge transmissions have improved dramaitcally,GM has been the leader since 01 with the 8.1 gas and diesel transmissions.

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #17  
a locking torque converter, a characteristic which creates a lot of heat.

I'd really have to disagree with that. Once the convertor is in lock up you're no longer building heat at the convertor (unless of course, it's slipping.)
I ran gauges on my 98' and the tranny temp would start to decline once the convertor locked up. The 98' cummins was 215hp & 410ftlbs stock, I had it pushed to 310hp & ~550ftlbs and put 250K miles on it with no tranny issues (47RE).

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #18  
I'd really have to disagree with that. Once the convertor is in lock up you're no longer building heat at the convertor (unless of course, it's slipping.)
I ran gauges on my 98' and the tranny temp would start to decline once the convertor locked up. The 98' cummins was 215hp & 410ftlbs stock, I had it pushed to 310hp & ~550ftlbs and put 250K miles on it with no tranny issues (47RE).

I meant non-locking, my mistake. Yes, a locking torque converter is much, much better than a non-locking in terms of power transfer and heat build up. A locking converter in Dodge transmissions behind the Cummins wasn't introduced until 94'.