Transmission warranty advise wanted

/ Transmission warranty advise wanted #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I wanted to get a consensus from the TBN brain trust on this one.

I recently had the transmission rebuilt on a 2017 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel with 156K miles. The rebuild was done by a reputable Texas transmission shop with 26 locations.

The rebuild wasn't cheap, about $8K with a 50K mile warranty. When I met with the shop tech, he explained all the items that should be replaced out of necessity or out of an abundance of caution including torque converter, pump assembly, complete valve body assembly, valve body kit, master rebuild kit, input speed sensor, output speed sensor, both filters, synthetic fluid. He actually was a pretty knowledgeable guy and I left it in their hands that if in-doubt, replace it.

It's been driven less than 2500 miles and it now appears the flex plate and/or torque converter has failed, with the risk of some additional damage.

I met with the transmission shop and we're arranging to have it towed to their location for an evaluation. However, in just our brief conversation, the hair stood up on the back of my neck when I heard the shop manager exclaim the flex plate isn't part of the transmission and they don't really do anything with it other than a basic check to see if it's in decent shape.

In most of the talks I've had with car geeks, they most certainly say the flexplate inspection and condition would be an integral part of a transmission rebuild. They also say it's a known failure point in Ram transmissions and by sheer default on a 156K transmission would be replaced with a new OEM ($200) or upgraded to an aftermarket billet ($400-$500).

Anyway. Hoping this is a non-issue and the shop just takes ownership and makes it right if the ball lies in their court, without a bunch of drama. However, in the waning age of providing good service and standing behind your work/product, I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

From those that are more transmission qualified then myself, what's your opinion?

/ Transmission warranty advise wanted #3  
I had that happen with a gasser once. Me & the shop met halfway on the trans r&r and I pad for the flywheel. Go in easy at first, they may work with you.

/ Transmission warranty advise wanted
I had that happen with a gasser once. Me & the shop met halfway on the trans r&r and I pad for the flywheel. Go in easy at first, they may work with you.
I'm kind of figuring this might be what we settle on. But it looks like the most common causes of flexplate failure is incorrect torque of the torque converter bolts, bad torque converter and misalignment of the transmission. Seems like all of those fall under the transmission shops scope of work.

/ Transmission warranty advise wanted #5  
I've had better luck with junkyard transmissions than remanufactured units. :(

/ Transmission warranty advise wanted #6  
Ouch! Hopefully you can get some satisfaction from them.

Going forward, over the years I've replaced a Dakota transmission and multiple GM trannys and always have found that I have better luck going that route. About a year and a half ago the 8 speed was replaced in my Silverado at the dealer for about $5000.

/ Transmission warranty advise wanted #7  
Ouch! Hopefully you can get some satisfaction from them.

Going forward, over the years I've replaced a Dakota transmission and multiple GM trannys and always have found that I have better luck going that route. About a year and a half ago the 8 speed was replaced in my Silverado at the dealer for about $5000.

I miss having an 8 speed transmission, they do wonders for gas mileage! 😂

/ Transmission warranty advise wanted #8  
Not ever knowing about what a flex plate was, I am now educated on the subject. Turns out (mostly around, actually), that it's considered a replacement for the flywheel found in manual transmissions. So, its considered part of the engine. Failure (in flex mode, not a missing teeth issue), is mostly due to an imbalanced motor or transmission. What made you need a trans rebuild in the first place ? Are they related ?

/ Transmission warranty advise wanted #9  
Ive seen flexplates fail after torque converter replacement.
Most of the time the mechanic doesnt gradually tighten the mounting bolts because its a pain to continually turn the motor to allow access to the bolts.
So they torque them down one at a time and it puts the flex plate in a bind because it cocks the torque converter.