Transplanting young trees

/ Transplanting young trees #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
i have some young trres that i planted 2 and 3 years ago they are oaks, flowering trees and a few pine. would it be ok to transplant then at this time of year?

/ Transplanting young trees #2  
I wouldn't do it until next spring. They almost never do well this time of year, they die much more often, and when they do live it takes longer for them to recover and start growing well again. I tried plantin a 3' Ash last week and watered it. It wiltered in a few hours. If you have to plant them this time of year, wait until you get a real good rain, then replant them in the morning when it's cool and damp. Later, ihookem.

/ Transplanting young trees #3  
Fall is a good time to transplant. I transplanted over a dozen maples last fall, all are doing well.

/ Transplanting young trees #4  
I'm just reinforcing what ihookem and buckeyefarmer said. Unless you have some pressing need to transplant them now, you should probably wait until they're dormant (late fall or early spring). If you move them now, try to move as much dirt with them as possible.

/ Transplanting young trees #5  
I've got several pecan seedlings that I need to move from where I heeled them in when I didn't have the time/places for planting them. They're in raised mounds of compost, so what I plan to do may not work for your situation, but I'm planning to use a "cookie cutter" made of flashing material to cut out around each tree. Then I'll get under the cutter with a shovel and move the whole chunk to where I want it.

Chuck

/ Transplanting young trees #6  
I am in the move them in the fall category if you can wait.

Most growers around us will not even dig trees at this time as the risks are just not worth it.