Transportation Issues

/ Transportation Issues #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
I just bought a Mahindra 5555, it came with a BH17 Bush Hog (7ft), pallet forks, bucket & 7ft rear blade.

My problem is transportation. The hog is too wide for the 10k equipment trailer I have available to me, the tractor is too heavy for 10k trailer, tractor and hog is too long. I rented a trailer to get the tractor home, 16k I think it was and made 2 trips. IMG_6592.JPGIMG_6602.JPG

Bush hog dimensions: IMG_6612.JPG

So a few options would be:
1. Sell the 7ft bush hog and buy a 6ft.
2. Sell 7ft hog and get a shorter 8ft hog which would shorten trailer needs by 3ft.
3. Buy new trailer. If so which one?
4. Give up on the dream of transporting the tractor and bush hog in same trip lol.

Tractor with the bucket is 15ft or so. Bush hog is 10ft long. Currently biggest truck I have available is a 2005 2500hd duramax which can legally tow 10,500 conventional (bumper pull).

Not wanting to spend a fortune to upgrade truck and or trailer I’m looking for the best options. Deck overs are usually MUCH heavier than equipment trailers so that eats away at towing capacity on the truck. Truck is fitted with a 5th wheel hitch, I would have to buy the plate to tow goose neck. But truck is not mine it’s my buddies. My truck is a 1995 F350 dually with 460 gas, I use it for shorter trips, it has pintle hitch rated at 10k I believe. Would be kinda silly to buy a trailer for a truck I don’t own lol. My truck can tow 12k conventional on paper if I upgraded the hitch to class 5, that being said I wouldn’t want to put that much weight behind it unless short trips.

Tractor is 7900lbs with bucket. Bush Hog is 1025lbs so under 9000lbs plus trailer weight.

My current bush hogging needs? Little to non, never ran a bush hog in my life, I have a 2 acre pasture to cut a few times a year. I really like this 7ft bush hog and would like to get into bush hogging as a side gig since I have a good size hog and a tractor to run it. I’m currently advertising for jobs I can drive the tractor to (less than 5 miles). My mother has 32 acres (45 miles away) which 5 is swampy meadow and I would like to cut back a lot of growth with a bush hog, haven’t been able to do in the past.

Bumper pull trailers I was interested in:
1. Aluminum.
2. Aardvark.
3. Longer equipment (24ft)
4. Deck over

IMG_6609.JPG

/ Transportation Issues #2  
I’d get a deckover GN and pull it behind your dually. Isn’t your truck a flatbed though? Put the bushhog on the bed and the tractor on your 10k trailer. Will the tractor lift the cutter high enough to clear the fenders? What of you just drove it on and put some blocks or jack stands under the cutter to keep it over the fenders?

/ Transportation Issues #3  
I think you need a deck over trailer....24 feet..

/ Transportation Issues #4  
Nice deck over is way to go for such a large setup. Newer GN setups have pierced beams allowing for lower deck height.

I understand not wanting to upgrade trucks just to upgrade trailers. Kinda in a pinch unless you find a heavy duty aluminum trailer that is light enough. Just sounds like your pushing your situation a little.

My 2019 2500 can pull 16700 according to the sticker. My trailer has enough capacity to haul 10100. So together it's barely capable of moving all of that load legally and safely. It's hard because you seem to have need for a much heftier truck and trailer but limited usage makes it hard t justify. You layout the best options I think all I would do is just think long and hard about usage.

/ Transportation Issues
I’d get a deckover GN and pull it behind your dually. Isn’t your truck a flatbed though? Put the bushhog on the bed and the tractor on your 10k trailer. Will the tractor lift the cutter high enough to clear the fenders? What of you just drove it on and put some blocks or jack stands under the cutter to keep it over the fenders?

You know, I never once thought about putting the bush hog up on my dually bed lol. I would have to take the little tool box off. Truck bed is 7ft long and 8ft wide with tool box, would be 9ft long and 8ft wide without tool box. Cutter would hang over a foot or two off the end but should work. I just put new firestone tires on the back of the dually too. New leaf spring hangers (looks like mine need replaced) and a trailer brake controller, is all I would need for that load with the dually. IMG_6550.JPG

IMG_9253.JPGIMG_6549.JPG

/ Transportation Issues #6  
You know, I never once thought about putting the bush hog up on my dually bed lol. I would have to take the little tool box off. Truck bed is 7ft long and 8ft wide with tool box, would be 9ft long and 8ft wide without tool box. Cutter would hang over a foot or two off the end but should work. I just put new firestone tires on the back of the dually too. New leaf spring hangers (looks like mine need replaced) and a trailer brake controller, is all I would need for that load with the dually. View attachment 670872

View attachment 670868View attachment 670877

That changes the game!

/ Transportation Issues #7  
I recommend a bigger trailer, loading and unloading the hog on the flatbed would be a pain, especially if you get in the business and do a lot of moving from job to job. The hog should fit behind the fenders on a 24' trailer. Mine is a gooseneck but can be had in a bumper pull.

0320171327.jpg

downsized_0626160612.jpg

/ Transportation Issues #8  
I just bought a Mahindra 5555, it came with a BH17 Bush Hog (7ft), pallet forks, bucket & 7ft rear blade.

My problem is transportation. The hog is too wide for the 10k equipment trailer I have available to me, the tractor is too heavy for 10k trailer, tractor and hog is too long. I rented a trailer to get the tractor home, 16k I think it was and made 2 trips. View attachment 670841View attachment 670860

Bush hog dimensions: View attachment 670838

So a few options would be:
1. Sell the 7ft bush hog and buy a 6ft.
2. Sell 7ft hog and get a shorter 8ft hog which would shorten trailer needs by 3ft.
3. Buy new trailer. If so which one?
4. Give up on the dream of transporting the tractor and bush hog in same trip lol.

Tractor with the bucket is 15ft or so. Bush hog is 10ft long. Currently biggest truck I have available is a 2005 2500hd duramax which can legally tow 10,500 conventional (bumper pull).

Not wanting to spend a fortune to upgrade truck and or trailer I知 looking for the best options. Deck overs are usually MUCH heavier than equipment trailers so that eats away at towing capacity on the truck. Truck is fitted with a 5th wheel hitch, I would have to buy the plate to tow goose neck. But truck is not mine it痴 my buddies. My truck is a 1995 F350 dually with 460 gas, I use it for shorter trips, it has pintle hitch rated at 10k I believe. Would be kinda silly to buy a trailer for a truck I don稚 own lol. My truck can tow 12k conventional on paper if I upgraded the hitch to class 5, that being said I wouldn稚 want to put that much weight behind it unless short trips.

Tractor is 7900lbs with bucket. Bush Hog is 1025lbs so under 9000lbs plus trailer weight.

My current bush hogging needs? Little to non, never ran a bush hog in my life, I have a 2 acre pasture to cut a few times a year. I really like this 7ft bush hog and would like to get into bush hogging as a side gig since I have a good size hog and a tractor to run it. I知 currently advertising for jobs I can drive the tractor to (less than 5 miles). My mother has 32 acres (45 miles away) which 5 is swampy meadow and I would like to cut back a lot of growth with a bush hog, haven稚 been able to do in the past.

Bumper pull trailers I was interested in:
1. Aluminum.
2. Aardvark.
3. Longer equipment (24ft)
4. Deck over

View attachment 670861

I have a 14K equipment trailer that I tow with my 454 V-8 K2500 4x4 Suburban.
I limit myself to a trailer gross of 12K.
My trailer weighs just under 3,300 lbs.

If I loaded it with 9,000 + 3,300 I would be at 12,300, and I would certainly do that.

You don't need a crazy heavy duty rig, to occasionally tow 45 miles to your mother's place.
I have towed mine at 12K total, on a 350 mile trip.
Not optimal, but certainly doable.