Transporting boulders

/ Transporting boulders #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I want to transport some boulders about 50 miles. I have a 5x8 heavy duty dump trailer that should probably handle 2 or 3 of them. How in the world do you fasten them down for transport? Or not bother?

The sides on my trailer are high enough where the boulders could not possible fall over the sides or the back. It's more if I was in an accident-- those boulders flying around could do some serious damage.

I don't have D-rings in my trailer ....

/ Transporting boulders #2  
A big rock is coming loose in much worse than a fender bender anyway. Drop them in and roll.

/ Transporting boulders #3  
Legally, it’s supposed to be secured. How well it’s secured is always the talking point. Gravel and dirt is only “secured” by a tarp. Obviously, this doesn’t meet the written legal requirement, but is the commonly accepted method.

How big of boulders are we talking? I would chain and boomer them, if they are large enough. If they are smaller, a heavy duty tarp (not the roll on kind) would be a good way.

I came back to add, if three rocks fit in a 5’x8’ trailer, they probably can’t be easily chained. Those aren’t what I refer to as boulders. I was thinking something closer to two or three times the size your post brings to mind.

A heavy cargo net or tarp is the most correct answer. Most people will just roll.

How heavy duty can a 5’x8’ trailer be?

Last edited:
   / Transporting boulders #4  
I want to transport some boulders about 50 miles. I have a 5x8 heavy duty dump trailer that should probably handle 2 or 3 of them. How in the world do you fasten them down for transport? Or not bother?

The sides on my trailer are high enough where the boulders could not possible fall over the sides or the back. It's more if I was in an accident-- those boulders flying around could do some serious damage.

I don't have D-rings in my trailer ....
I have a fourteen foot, and my move was shorter than 50 miles. I put 3/4 inch plywood on bottom (to save trailer bed), then sheets on top strapped down. If you can't stand the weight to fill the bed, it will be tough, I would probably "hope for the best" and roll:)

Best,

ed

/ Transporting boulders #6  
3 heavy straps crossing on top of each boulder, that's probably what I would do … even if they are not totally secure at 100% at least its a indication of effort and would be able to avoid a unsafe load if getting pulled over or seeing a cop...

/ Transporting boulders #7  
3 heavy straps crossing on top of each boulder, that's probably what I would do … even if they are not totally secure at 100% at least its a indication of effort and would be able to avoid a unsafe load if getting pulled over or seeing a cop...

Yes! It’s much better to have a debate about the effectiveness than have to admit there was no effort put out. For me and most of the guys I’ve worked with, some effort was often enough to get passed over on inspections.

/ Transporting boulders #9  
With a small dump trailer and no D-rings there isn't much you can do. Maybe just cover them with a heavy tarp and stretch a few straps across the top. Take the less traveled roads, don't get in a hurry, drive slow, defensively and under the speed limit. Give the tailgaters ample time to get around you.

If possible, throw in some dunnage or old pallets to act as a shock absorber just in case.

/ Transporting boulders #10  
Put a thick layer of soft material, like dirt in the bottom around the boulders lower 1/3.
That‘ll help prevent them from shifting. Then add straps across tops
If you strap them without the soft material, the straps will constantly work their way lose