Travel trailer buying advice???

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #31  
We dry camp. (No electricity). I put two batteries in parallel for twice the battery life, and have a portable charger and small generator to power it if we need to recharge. We also bought LED replacement lights as they use 1/10 of the current as regular incandescent ones.

Been enjoying thread not trying to get off Roberts (OP) original question but just asking.
I 'am familiar with putting batts in parallel but are you using reg car/truck batts or marine deep cycle batterys ?

Boone

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #32  
Been enjoying thread not trying to get off Roberts (OP) original question but just asking.
I 'am familiar with putting batts in parallel but are you using reg car/truck batts or marine deep cycle batterys ?

Boone

I have always used the marine deep cycle batteries with ours, that is what both of them came with originally. They will pretty much last for a week of camping just being conservative with the lights etc. Need a generator or an electric site to run AC though.

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #33  

Of the two you have listed, I liked the layout of the StarCraft better, although with kids our current camper has no carpet all sheet vinyl. This has been much easier to keep clean. When we purchased our current travel trailer in 2007 there was large difference in price from one dealer to the next for the same model. I am saying that it can't hurt to shop around.

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #34  
We plan to do all types of camping. <snip>.
Reason I ask is if you dry camp you want the largest water tanks you can find. Also you will want to upgrade your battery system VS the stock one.
Likewise for those who like the full service RV park you might be able to get by with a less than desirable bathroom since often people use the CG restrooms.

As far as batteries, most dealers put the cheapest battery they can on a unit. Often they are just car batteries or poseur deep cycle batteries. I upgraded mine to two 6v Trojan T105's in series. Nothing wrong with parallel 12V either. The bigger campers just have more parasitic battery drain when not plugged in. I got into camping around '96 and bought a used pop-up. Every camper I bought I made mistakes and learned through the school of hard knocks. The canvas has an R value of diddly squat so I upgraded eventually to a hard sided Chalet A-frame pop-up. That was great for many years as I spent little time in the camper and didn't mind the small space. I'm on my second travel trailer (TT) now because I wanted a bathroom.

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #35  
Robert I have had pop-up's, truck campers and pull behinds. When buying used the numero uno thing to look for is WATER DAMAGE. Inmho no camper built can stand up to being outside 24/7(I know I know they are supposed to be designed as outdoor products) and sooner or later they all leak. When they do the damage can be minor if caught right away and the issue fixed. If not, the damage will be extensive.

So, when looking, take a really powerful flashlight, really small screwdriver or ice pick, and a calibrated schnoz. Always crawl up on the roof and inspect it for soft spots and visible damage. Then look closely under the camper at the area where the floors met the wall and the entire ceiling. If you see something that looks soft, poke it lightly with the pick. If it's rotten you will know it right away as the pick disappears into it. Inside look at where the floor meets the wall, under every window & look under every compartment or seat that is removable and SNIFF for mold/mildew. Check all the plumbing fittings under the sink/shower for leakage. Pay attention to the floor inside for soft spots.

If you find or smell any of these things walk away and don't look back. Water damage repairs can cost as much as a used camper is worth if you have it professionally repaired. Remember, water damage is like a floating ice berg....you are only seeing a small portion of it. I have tackled two campers that had what I would call minor damage, both took many days each to tear out and re-build so I am done doing that kind of work...it sucks. Anything other than water damage is usually a pretty straight forward repair.

When you do find that nice pristine camper really think hard about putting it in a garage or portable shelter. If you do this it will last forever as long as you keep the mice out....all mice must die:devil:

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #36  
When buying used the numero uno thing to look for is WATER DAMAGE. Inmho no camper built can stand up to being outside 24/7(I know I know they are supposed to be designed as outdoor products) and sooner or later they all leak. When they do the damage can be minor if caught right away and the issue fixed. If not, the damage will be extensive.

Sad, but true.

/ Travel trailer buying advice???
We ended up buying a 2012 north trail travel trailer. It is brand new but they had an issue with the sidewalls and sent it back to the factory. The factory replaced the walls and updated it to be the same as the 2014s. Got it at a great price from a family owned and operated dealer who we had a great experience with. I'm going to try and pick it up this next week and will post picks then. If I remember right it was the model 31QBSS.

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #39  
The Harrisburg show is coming up in September. If you could wait and go to the show there are good deals to be had. Bought my last camper at the show for a savings of 6500.00.

/ Travel trailer buying advice??? #40  
We ended up buying a 2012 north trail travel trailer. It is brand new but they had an issue with the sidewalls and sent it back to the factory. The factory replaced the walls and updated it to be the same as the 2014s. Got it at a great price from a family owned and operated dealer who we had a great experience with. I'm going to try and pick it up this next week and will post picks then. If I remember right it was the model 31QBSS.

Robert congrats ! One thing among many I like about the North Trail/Wilderness Heartland products are their wide stance axles. :thumbsup:

North Trail 31QBSS King Slide | Lloyd Bridges Traveland

Boone