Treated Wood Okay For Fish Pond Bridge?

/ Treated Wood Okay For Fish Pond Bridge? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
I rebuilt this 8 foot bridge that spans our Koi pond. The beams and tread of cedar had rotted away after a few years in the weather.

My concern is whether the treated lumber (YellaWood) leaching is going to pose a hazard to the Koi when it rains. We are leaving it where is for now in hopes that the exterior, at least, will dry out.

Anyone have experience with this?

Attachments

• BRIDGE-3.jpg
    BRIDGE-3.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 62
   / Treated Wood Okay For Fish Pond Bridge? #2  
I rebuilt this 8 foot bridge that spans our Koi pond. The beams and tread of cedar had rotted away after a few years in the weather.

My concern is whether the treated lumber (YellaWood) leaching is going to pose a hazard to the Koi when it rains. We are leaving it where is for now in hopes that the exterior, at least, will dry out.

Anyone have experience with this?
Contact yella wood manufacturer and ask about chemical leaching.

/ Treated Wood Okay For Fish Pond Bridge?
I talked to a fella at YellaWood and he didn't think there would be a problem and agreed that pressure washing wouldn't hurt but only after I suggested it.
Hoping someone will stop by this conversation that has actually used the treated wood in this application. Opinions from non users welcome also.

/ Treated Wood Okay For Fish Pond Bridge? #4  
Look into what to put on the wood for a safe preservative. Maybe linseed oil?

If you are concerned you could make a tray under the bridge to catch the rain water and let it wash off the ends of the bridge. Something like an A/C catch pan. It looks like you could incorporate the tray so it would not show once it is in place.

/ Treated Wood Okay For Fish Pond Bridge? #5  
FWIW...
Years ago I made a treated plywood lid for a spring where our drinking water comes from...I was concerned about the chemicals leaching into the spring...so I sealed the piece of plywood...I melted paraffin an applied it with a throw away paint brush...so far so good after 30 some years...