Treating diesel in north Texas winters

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #1  

ElSueno Farms

Tractor
Kubota B2320 Kubota M5660SUD Kubota RTV500. Honda Pioneer 1000
I keep 15—20 gallons of diesel on hand, servicing 2 tractors and 1RTV. Seems there is no typical winters in north Texas, I always treat my stored gasoline, but in the past have not treated diesel. But until this year usually only kept 5 gal on—hand for by b kubota. All equipment today is stored under a 23x40 metal drive—in shed, so nothing gets wet or is exposed at all. Diesel is up off ground at all times in a 15 gal plastic container with a hand pump and put it through a filter funnel.

would you treat or not, and if so, what works best in north Texas, zone 8A.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #2  
I only treat diesel to prevent gelling. That doesn't happen until temps drop below 20F. Diesel fuel stores much better than gasoline. Some of my tractors will sit all Winter and the fuel still works fine next Spring. I try to store them with the tanks full to minimize condensation.

For treatment I use Power Service White Bottle. An ounce will treat 3 gallons. It's cheap security. Gelled fuel is not fun.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #3  
I live in lower Alabama and we get about 5 days per year where it just hits freezing or slightly below. Just in case, I treat diesel on hand with Power Service in the white bottle before the first freeze is expected.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #4  
I treat my diesel with Power Service White Bottle.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #5  
I keep 15—20 gallons of diesel on hand, servicing 2 tractors and 1RTV. Seems there is no typical winters in north Texas, I always treat my stored gasoline, but in the past have not treated diesel. But until this year usually only kept 5 gal on—hand for by b kubota. All equipment today is stored under a 23x40 metal drive—in shed, so nothing gets wet or is exposed at all. Diesel is up off ground at all times in a 15 gal plastic container with a hand pump and put it through a filter funnel.

would you treat or not, and if so, what works best in north Texas, zone 8A.
Stanadyne Winter 1000. Works in the CO mountains flawlessly.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #6  
We live in the mountains of western North Carolina, where it generally gets into the lower teens a time or two each year, and has gotten to zero a time or two in the 25 years we've lived here. I've never treated either the diesel in the tank or what may be in the two five-gallon plastic containers, both of which are stored in a small un-heated barn.

I've never seen an issue with the fuel, though I've seldom if ever tried to start the tractor until it's gotten back up above freezing, especially in the barn, which is somewhat heated by the sun once the weather clears.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #7  
I use Opti-Lube XPD summer and winter. Directions say to use double the dose for winter.
rScotty

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #8  
It is easy to test your fuel at a cold temperature. I put a sample in a small clear bottle and toss it in the freezer. After a day or two, see how clear it is. I'm not happy with the latest sample I tested of fuel I just bought. grrr

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #9  
A good sample will be crystal clear like koolaid. Then, the next stage is just a cloudiness, then you will get settling of the paraffin on the bottom with stringy slime looking things when stirred. It will keep getting thicker until it starts solidifying from the bottom up.

The freezer I test in is set at -4F.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #10  
A good sample will be crystal clear like koolaid. Then, the next stage is just a cloudiness, then you will get settling of the paraffin on the bottom with stringy slime looking things when stirred. It will keep getting thicker until it starts solidifying from the bottom up.

The freezer I test in is set at -4F.
Heck, that's not even winter yet.