Tree cutting accident

/ Tree cutting accident #171  
I lost my best friend a year ago. He was working on a tree that fell down a very steep hill. He was very safety conscious. The tree shifted and pinned him against a sapling. I found him the next morning.

/ Tree cutting accident #172  
I lost my best friend a year ago. He was working on a tree that fell down a very steep hill. He was very safety conscious. The tree shifted and pinned him against a sapling. I found him the next morning.
Sawyer safety rule #4. Have someone with you.

/ Tree cutting accident #173  
After being trained by my employer on chainsaws for use at work, and having gone through the fireline saw training, I can’t help but wear chaps and some sort of eye, ear, and head protection. I now find it somewhat embarrassing to use a saw without putting that stuff on first. Habit yes, but we also point and comment about the homeowners in jeans waving a running saw around like it’s a toy. My dad cut without that stuff for many years, even after I told him not to, until he finally cut his leg and needed stitches.

/ Tree cutting accident #174  
I cut fire wood. when there is a dangerous tree I usually notch it, back cut a bit, and then use an 8000 lb winch hooked to another tree to pull it down. So I'm not under or near it.

/ Tree cutting accident #175  
I cut fire wood. when there is a dangerous tree I usually notch it, back cut a bit, and then use an 8000 lb winch hooked to another tree to pull it down. So I'm not under or near it.
More often than not, and always if I'm near a building, I climb up as high as I can on a 24' extension ladder. Tie off with 2 90' ropes and tie them to 2 come alongs. Then take up the slack. Then I cut the notch and a heavy hinge. Then pull it over.

Cut down 25 90' spruces that were very close to the house this way without incident. Took me a week to burn up all the branches.

/ Tree cutting accident #176  
I have never worn a safety device in my life outside of safety glasses maybe 50% of the time.
Been at it for 40+ years without a significant injury.

Added: I in no way condone this. My injuries have been mostly falls or a few concussions.
Can you still hear well, or have you had hearing loss?

/ Tree cutting accident #177  
IF I ever take up motorcycle riding again, I'll definitely take a class. I have friends that still ride and from what I've been told, the classes are well worth it.

I recall one year when I put the bike away for the winter, got it out in the spring, took off on a curvy road I liked to push it on, and found that my skills had diminished greatly in just the 4-5 months, and ended up hopping a curb into the grass before I could stop. Fortunately, there was a driveway cut in the curb that I managed to go through, or I'd have lost it.

A good lesson in keeping your skills up. Use it or lose it. Etc.
It would be interesting to figure out what proportion/combination of factors put you over this edge;
  • Stale unrefreshed consciousness and skill,
  • Unscrubbed 5 mo oxidation on the tires,
  • Cool stiff rubber,
  • Cool road surface.
Doesnt take much of a wheel "skate" to set off the sphincter and freeze you.

/ Tree cutting accident #178  
@RandyT Sorry to hear about your friend.

Preface to the following story... I grew up on a large farm and we used wood to heat both the house and shop. My current shop also has wood heat, although I did plumb it for in-floor heat. I'm tempted to buy a boiler for it this fall so I don't have to cut firewood.
The wife and I built our dream home on 22 acres of wooded land overlooking a medium-sized river. In the summer of 2020, I was cutting some small trees down (<6" dia) for a better river view from our deck. I had full safety gear on (helmet, chaps & boots). I had just cut a small 5"-ish inch tree down and was in the process of standing up when I got hit with a tremendous force and driven to the ground. Turns out that a tree that I wasn't even working on broke off about halfway up, hit me in the back of the head, and went down my back. It was a dead oak that was 12"-14" at the base. The wife watched it happen from the deck but, of course, couldn't do anything about it. Two of my three kids, along with my son-in-law, were there. The EMTs responded very quickly and were there within 10 minutes, but they had a hard time getting me out of the woods because of the steep hill up to our house. They loaded me in the ambulance and drove me a 1/8 of a mile down the road to a clearing where the helicopter was waiting, which then flew me to the nearest trauma center. I had three broken ribs where they attach to one's spine, a collapsed left lung, a broken shoulder blade, a crushed T-12 in my back, and a "mild" traumatic brain injury. When they were hauling me up the hill I could feel something moving around in my chest, which, of course, was my lung. It was a terrible feeling.
I spent a week in the hospital and then three months in a back brace, and 6 weeks in a neck brace. I am still not over my brain injury and probably never will be. I had already had three lower back surgeries before this accident, so this did not help. I also have a congenital issue with my neck where I have absolutely no room for my spinal cord, which limits my head movement. I came within a whisker of being paralyzed. I also have "hidden" injuries that are starting to show, like a knee issue that needs fixing now.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but wanted to share how quickly things can go sideways in the woods. I also want to point out that without my Stihl helmet, I would be dead. It is as blunt as that. Without that piece of safety gear, I would not be here.

Please be safe out there.

/ Tree cutting accident #179  
It would be interesting to figure out what proportion/combination of factors put you over this edge;
  • Stale unrefreshed consciousness and skill,
  • Unscrubbed 5 mo oxidation on the tires,
  • Cool stiff rubber,
  • Cool road surface.
Doesnt take much of a wheel "skate" to set off the sphincter and freeze you.
100% it was loss of skill from months of non-riding on my part. I'd taken the curve many times, bike was in perfect condition.

Similar thing happens to overconfident swimmers in the spring. They hop in the lake thinking they're in just as good of shape and conditioning as they were last year when they did it no issues. Get half way across the lake and poop out. Hopefully they don't panic and just float their way to safety.

/ Tree cutting accident #180  
After being trained by my employer on chainsaws for use at work, and having gone through the fireline saw training, I can’t help but wear chaps and some sort of eye, ear, and head protection. I now find it somewhat embarrassing to use a saw without putting that stuff on first. Habit yes, but we also point and comment about the homeowners in jeans waving a running saw around like it’s a toy. My dad cut without that stuff for many years, even after I told him not to, until he finally cut his leg and needed stitches.
What was the training program you took?