Tree Grapple

/ Tree Grapple #13  
I think some sort screening in front for protection just in case from limb/branch.

/ Tree Grapple #14  
I bought a Ryans 4252 log grapple to use on both my 1430 and 1460 (I think log grapples have teeth near the attachment to the tractor, so you can jam the large end of a tree and pick it up off the ground, just my observation). I got one size up from the smallest because of the 1460 capacity. It works great. With the hyd rotator I can approach from any angle and pick up and move to a pile where I can place it to match directions for a larger grab once the pile gets big enough. I also can carry very long trees out like a crane-boom (20'+ long, whatever the tractor will lift) through narrow areas where the rotator can turn the tree to follow the path before the tractor gets there. That guy did a great job with a selfcentering grapple but I don't think I would have the patients.

Attachments

• ryan grapple 1 21.jpeg
    ryan grapple 1 21.jpeg
    987 KB · Views: 89
   / Tree Grapple #15  
I think some sort screening in front for protection just in case from limb/branch.
I've often thought of that, however, one of the downsides of screening is if a stick does come through it, the screening acts as a guide and reinforcement, and can actually worsen the spear-like effects of the small branches.

With that said, I've had branches push my FEL joystick back, raising the FEL arms unexpectedly. Only way out of it is to immediately reverse and hope the branch backs off the joystick.

Best practice is to avoid the situation all together, but sometimes we are lax in our awareness and boom!

/ Tree Grapple #16  
I was going to say, i drive mine similarly. Except i rarely hold on to the the upright.
I find myself using the ROPs upright as a grip quite often on slopes. When shuttling loads in the large bucket, I almost instinctually grab the upright each time my right hand comes off the joystick. It goes there when I'm moving forward, or on the armrest when I'm moving backwards to ease the lean as I look over my right shoulder.

/ Tree Grapple #17  
I think the operator in that video shows how handy a conversion to an electric solenoid for the AUX PTO knee lever would be if the button were added to the joystick handle. ;)

That would be an ideal use for it.

/ Tree Grapple
I bought a Ryans 4252 log grapple to use on both my 1430 and 1460 (I think log grapples have teeth near the attachment to the tractor, so you can jam the large end of a tree and pick it up off the ground, just my observation). I got one size up from the smallest because of the 1460 capacity. It works great. With the hyd rotator I can approach from any angle and pick up and move to a pile where I can place it to match directions for a larger grab once the pile gets big enough. I also can carry very long trees out like a crane-boom (20'+ long, whatever the tractor will lift) through narrow areas where the rotator can turn the tree to follow the path before the tractor gets there. That guy did a great job with a selfcentering grapple but I don't think I would have the patients.

John, how do you rotate and clamp the grapple with only having one auxiliary for the hydraulics?

/ Tree Grapple #19  
John, how do you rotate and clamp the grapple with only having one auxiliary for the hydraulics?
The Rayan's grapple comes with it's own diverter valve. You just need to supply 12 volt electrics to actuate it and then it switches from grapple open/close to rotate.

I installed a diverter valve on my tractor's hoist circuit (I only use the original aux circuit to work the quick coupler, so far anyway).

Then I bought a multi function joy stick handle with 3 elect circuits (only use 2 so far). When I pull the trigger the diverter valve I installed changes from hoist up/down to feed my aux circuit, in this case it is grapple open/close.

Then I wire the thumb push button to actuate both my diverter and the Ryans diverter which changes from hoist up/down to grapple rotate.

If you go this route, I can look up my notes on the wiring circuit as you need 3 relays to make it work. As best as I could figure out anyway.

Attachments

• view of valve.jpeg
    view of valve.jpeg
    560.6 KB · Views: 84
   / Tree Grapple
The Rayan's grapple comes with it's own diverter valve. You just need to supply 12 volt electrics to actuate it and then it switches from grapple open/close to rotate.

I installed a diverter valve on my tractor's hoist circuit (I only use the original aux circuit to work the quick coupler, so far anyway).

Then I bought a multi function joy stick handle with 3 elect circuits (only use 2 so far). When I pull the trigger the diverter valve I installed changes from hoist up/down to feed my aux circuit, in this case it is grapple open/close.

Then I wire the thumb push button to actuate both my diverter and the Ryans diverter which changes from hoist up/down to grapple rotate.

If you go this route, I can look up my notes on the wiring circuit as you need 3 relays to make it work. As best as I could figure out anyway.
Wow! That’s an awesome setup! I seen your push button joystick and was thinking you had something like that. That’s cool.