Tree grubber attachment for backhoe

/ Tree grubber attachment for backhoe #1  

bikerdib

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Has anyone found a manufacturer that makes tree grubbers that fit small backhoes? There are some available for excavators but I haven't been able to find one that will fit my BH92.

This is an example of what I'm talking about:
7_764255663_c507bb87f6de5dcd5c2e46c7_0.png

/ Tree grubber attachment for backhoe #2  
What's the idea behind that? It cuts the roots but doesn't move dirt?

/ Tree grubber attachment for backhoe
Exactly, it gets sent through the soil and all (or at least the majority) of the force is sent against the root without digging a hole. It is most effective against trees that have a taproot such as Huisache, Mesquite, Red Cedar and such. Here is a link to a excavator using one:

Video of larger Mesquite Grubbing - YouTube

/ Tree grubber attachment for backhoe #4  
Blue Diamond makes one with a SSQA if you have that on your loader. I wonder if they don't make them smaller because of the force you need to cut thru the roots.

Thanks but I'm looking for one to fit my BH92 backhoe.

/ Tree grubber attachment for backhoe #6  
If you don't want to use the bucket, I would be looking at a large tooth like shank instead of something like shown in the picture. The most dangerous trees and saplings are the ones you pull back towards you when removing them.

Most of what I'm removing is Huisache (similar to Mesquite) from around 1" to 4" diameter. And I have a LOT of it to remove. Anything larger and I cut off around 5' tall then dig the stump out. I leave about 5' to give me leverage against the stump but it isn't tall enough to reach the tractor.

I had a BH77 before the BH92 and had a 6" wide trenching bucket for which I made a V shaped cutting edge. I could use the hoe to push the tree away from me till it was on the ground then send the trenching bucket into the ground behind the tree and curl towards the tractor which would either pull the root out or break it off. But I was really pushing that little hoe thus my upgrade.

Huisache has a MAJOR taproot but usually few surface feeder roots so a ripper tooth doesn't work. I know because I tried one on my BH77 and it just goes around the taproot with little effect. A 4" trunk will have a 3 or 4" taproot as deep as 3 or 4 feet into the ground before it starts tapering smaller. I tried this morning using the bucket as is. The trees would just bend over as the bucket scraped up the root. I also tried pushing the tree away from me then move the bucket sideways to hook the trunk with the center bucket tooth but that would just break off the trunk above ground meaning I have to go back and either dig out or grind off with my stump grinder.

I most definitely don't ever try to use the backhoe to pull a large tree down. My head may be hard but not that hard.

I plan to make a V shaped cutting edge for my 16" bucket which should help. It would have been a simpler fab job if the bucket teeth were bolted on instead of welded on. It is just going to take more work to mount the cutting edge securely so it will last.

I decided the simplest route was to modify my existing 16" bucket. I took 1/2" tool steel I had lying around and made some angled pieces that are welded to the bucket cutting edge and the 2 outside teeth. I added a reinforcing gusset on top for durability. This wedges the root against the center tooth and the plate bites into the root. I tried it today and it is a big improvement over the stock bucket and the way I did it the bucket still works to dig. It will also be a pretty simple process to cut it off and return the bucket to stock if I ever decide to (but I doubt I will).

bucket 1.jpg

bucket 2.jpg

/ Tree grubber attachment for backhoe #10  
Cleaver idea for a particular problem. Digging stumps and Cutting roots is a challenge for any backhoe, especially small ones.