Tree planting auger for Post hole unit.

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit. #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
Do you have or do you know of a 24" and up size auger for hogging out a hole for tree planting. I have a Danuser post hole unit with hydraulic power down. I would like to find a used or new auger for it that I could dig as big as a 30" hole about 16" deep for tree planting. Any experience or seen such a beast at a tractor dealer? Thanks, Rat...

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit. #2  
I've not seen one for a CUT. I do know that Power Trac has them for their machines.

The best solution I have found is to put a 12" auger on the PHD and drill 3 holes in a triangular pattern as close together as you can. I dig mine the full depth to loosen the soil deep. What happens is that the first hole will be empty, the second hold will throw some dirt into the first hole. The third hole will throw some dirt into the first & second holes. There will also be some dirt in the middle between the 3 holes. I use a shovel to knock down the center and even out the dirt. It is easier work than you'd think. Using this method I put in a dozen trees (10' to 14' tall), shrubs & spruces last fall in under 2 hours.

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit. #3  
_RaT_,

Woods mentions an "orchard auger" in their literature, but doesn't specify any details, just that it is available. Perhaps an e-mail or a call might shed some additional light on the units available.

I remember reading about them in an older brochure a few years back. It seems they were either 24" or 30" diameter with a 12"? "pilot hole" diameter.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully somebody else around here knows something.

~Rick

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit. #4  
Check the Danuser site under Products/Augers. They have Stepped Augers for 2" Spindles and Stepped Augers for 2 9/16" Spindles.

Hold on to your hats, these run $300 - $550 dollars. Of course, they are massively heavy duty augers. I have a 24" auger for my F8 Danuser and it is indestructable. They have replacable bolt-on teeth.

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit.
Thanks. I checked out their site. Model 6250 would work but at 550 some odd dollars, I'm still thinking used would work out better. I have the smaller Danuser model 20/40 with the 2" round. It shows it will take a 30" auger. It has power down option attached to the digger as well although I don't currently have it hydrauliclly plumbed on my tractor.

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit. #6  
I'm pretty sure landpride has one like that, its much shorter than a normal auger and 24" in diameter. It probably costs a lot though, the normal augers are around $250. Not sure if the shaft types are the same or not.

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit. #7  
We have been looking at the same thing, had a 24" unit in my hands yesterday.

It starts as a 12" then has another set of teeth and larger flights to the 24" size.

It fits the "standard" shaft that we have on our PHD.

It is about the standard length, and the boss, my wife, wants a shorter one for planting bushes etc.

I was offered this one at $400 I think it had been used once, but the paint was all still there. I am afraid to use it and try it becuase it does not look that kind of used.

I am not sure that our NH 1925 34hp or so can pull it????? Especially if it hits a rock or something.

We currently do the three hole method described above, she is planting 10 trees today though, while still much faster than last year with the hand shovel, that is still 30 holes to dig.

But $400 is a bunch of jack for something I am not positive will work well.

Let me know if you come upon something better.

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit. #8  
I know I couldn't use a 24 or 30" auger with all the rocks I have. That's what backhoes were invented for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Andy

/ Tree planting auger for Post hole unit.
If I hit large rocks with the auger, it's pretty much a sure thing the shear pin will go. I suppose that with a 24" or 30", it will just go that much faster. I really don't want depth as much as width. A hole 16" deep would work well and not allow the tree to settle into the loosened soil, which as you may know, can be a real problem and severely stunt the trees growth. Rat...