Trencher Plans

/ Trencher Plans #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I'm fairly sure I saw a discussion on this a while ago but I have not been able to find it using the search.
trencher1.jpg

Has anyone seen the plans for the Trencher Model 103 from CADPLANS? I am a very beginning welder and I would like to try to build something like this as my first project.

Does anyone know if there are there any other sources of plans for similar and/or more simple units.

Thanks
Bob

/ Trencher Plans #2  
Can't help with your question but I'm curious about your intended use. Is this for laying cable or pipe? I am planning on setting up a drip irrigation system for a Saskatoon orchard.

/ Trencher Plans
I was hopeful that it might be able to be used for both. If the tube was large enough to accommodate 1/2" to perhaps 3/4" pipe it could do the irrigations function as well as lay wire with a protective sheath. Hope the ripper part could go down about 2 feet.

Does anyone know if these specs are realistic?
Bob

/ Trencher Plans #4  
Hi
this was posted here laying wire/pipe afew weeks ago that might help.

Charlie

/ Trencher Plans
Charlie
Thank you so much - I suspected there was a more straightforward and practical way to do this - the thread and the photos are excellent!!

Bob

/ Trencher Plans #6  
For the poly irrigation pipe, I have also had good luck "pulling" it using a subsoiler instead of trying to lay it as shown in the other thread.

The procedure is dig a hole where you want to start. Run the subsoiler along the intended path at least once to clear any roots or rocks. You may need to lift if here and there to pull/cut roots or dislodge rocks.

Return to the start hole. Attach the poly pipe to the bottom of the subsoiler. I used a few turns of bailing wire wrapped around the tip of the subsoiler between the two bolts. I folded-over end of the pipe through and around a loop of the bailing wire. I held the end folded over using a few wraps of duck tape. This makes a nice secure connection and prevents the pipe from filling with dirt.

Unroll the pipe so it can be pulled without kinking. A helper will be very helpful to feed the pipe into the hole without kinking as you pull.

Lower the subsoiler into the starting hole and pull the pipe in the previous trench.

At the end, slowly raise the subsoiler while pulling a couple of extra feet.

Cut-off and discard the folded-over/kinked section of pipe used to attach it to the bailing wire.

- Rick

/ Trencher Plans #7  
The other thread was great. Exactly what I am looking to do too. I have a couple of things to add though.

1. Put a Backflow Preventer between the burried line to the garden and any drinking water supply. This is probably code, but the reason for it is simple. If you loose water pressure, like a lot of us out in the boonies do when the power goes out, you can end up sucking water back into the house, especially if you have washer or sink in the basement. Sometimes the garden hose ends up sitting in a puddle next to the compost pile. Sucking that puddle back into the household plumbing is not a good thing.

2. The black poly pipe (High Density Polyethylene or HDPE) isn't damaged when it freezes full of water. I have a line to my pole barn that has been in the ground for the 14 years I've owned this house, and who knows how long before that. Every winter it freezes up under the driveway and I can't get water to the barn till about May. Here is a link to a manufacturer's web site that explains it.

http://www.isco-pipe.com/reference_center/ask_engineer_archive.asp

Now I've got to decide if I should get busy and start planning my next welding project or go down to TSC and pick up a sub soiler or middle buster. With the price of steel it might be cheaper to go the TSC route.