Triangular PTO Shaft Tubing Questions

/ Triangular PTO Shaft Tubing Questions #1  

Short Game

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300
I bought a used finish mower with too short of a PTO shaft. There was not enough overlap and the inner tube stretched the outer and today it failed when the outer tube split. The inner tube is badly worn and deformed as well, and can't be reused.

All the other PTO shafts I have are even shorter, or too much too long to borrow to get me back mowing. So I must get both inner and outer tubes to effect the repair. I see online places selling the tubing, either as 36 inch sets, or single inner or outer at 59 inches, sold separately. They are classed with numbers that have no meaning for me, but I assume these have to do with wall thickness and overall outside and inside dimensions. Is there a good reference page about this tubing anywhere?

The places I found were on the East Coast I am on the Pacific Northwest Coast. I am hoping to find an outlet for the tubing closer to home to do this simple repair. Any help out there? Thanks for looking.

/ Triangular PTO Shaft Tubing Questions #2  
You have the Euro style of shafting.

You'll need to determine the size you have in order to get the proper series of replacement shafting. Some of the various series use one size for an inner and the same size for an outer on the next step down and vise versa.

Agri Supply is one of a handful of vendors who carry the individual bits for these shafts online. You might find it locally, but you might also pay dearly for that option. ASC is actually quite good about reasonable prices and shipping fees. When I built my series 7 PTO shaft, there was another outfit that had slightly better prices, but their online store was brutal to navigate. Rather than having orders from two different vendors, I put all my eggs in one basket and that proved to be easier for me to keep track of rather than saving about 1% on the whole assembly when it was all said and done.

Here's a chart with dimensions: EUROCARDAN Standard Series

/ Triangular PTO Shaft Tubing Questions
Thanks Jim.

That chart should help me at least find out what I have here. Tough to read some of the dimensions on the gif on my monitor but I think I can make enough of them out. I have a metric dial caliper around here somewhere.

So, I guess I will just have to wait for a cross-country delivery, as it seems that is where the domestic suppliers be.

I noticed that one place was willing to part with the roll pins for a measly five bucks each (plus postage and handling, of course). Should be able to find those at the auto parts store, eh?

I'll post the chart here for the next guy:

PTO Drive_standards.gif

/ Triangular PTO Shaft Tubing Questions #4  
Tractor Supply sells the shafts you are looking for. Not sure if their in your area or not.
If you have to go with a complete new shaft I would go with the square solid.

/ Triangular PTO Shaft Tubing Questions #5  
If you have to go with a complete new shaft I would go with the square solid.

I'm curious how does OP get two solid square halves to telescope????:laughing: Replacing the triangle shafts is relatively easy.BTDT

I could not find the tubing at Tractor Supply's web page, just complete PTO shafts. Since the rest of my broken drive is good, I would rather repair it, since it's as simple as driving out two roll pins and cutting the new tubing to length. No desire to put two good U-joints and quick connects on the shelf.

I found 36 inch sets (inners and outers) for series 4 & 6 from someone called Georgia Equipment on Ebay (series 4 is $35 & 6 is $45 -- $40 to ship and ten days out).

Agri Supply sells the 59 inch individual inners and outers. Looking at $140 for series 6, with eight to ten days to ship and get way more length than I need. No quote on shipping cost.

/ Triangular PTO Shaft Tubing Questions #7  
I ended up using a grade 2 bolt, because that size roll pin is special to ag PTO's. If you've already got them, then there's no need to buy new ones.

I ended up using a grade 2 bolt, because that size roll pin is special to ag PTO's. If you've already got them, then there's no need to buy new ones.

Thanks again, Jim. That makes good sense.

---------------------------

After some more searching around I found these tubes called (besides, "triangular tubing"), "tri-tube," and, "tri-lobe."