Trick to using differential lock on GC2310?

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #11  
The diff lock on the old 2wd tractors I was raised with, you pushed it down with your heel to engage it, and it would stay engaged so long as you stayed in forward gears. Backing up about three feet popped it back out.

My TYM subcompact, it appears that if i put it in 4wd, the differentials front and rear lock, and stay locked so long as I’m in 4wd. In 2wd the diff lock appears to function just like the old ones did. Step down on the button to lock, back up and it disengages.

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #12  
Hmm... if I raise back and run the tractor rear wheels will both spin, how do you tell whether the differential engaged or not?
I would feel unsafe trying to hold a wheel of a running tractor

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #13  
I can tell mine is engaged:
1) Because both back tires are spinning. That’s the reason I engaged it, or would need to engage it. Either I engaged it before I got to the muddy spot and was worried only one tire would spin, or I got myself into a tricky spot and need both tires to spin to get out.
2) If I press only one tire’s steering brake, the tractor wants to stall. Now, on some tractors the different lock will pop right off when you do this, but not mine, not right at first.
3) Tractor turns very poorly, wants to go straight. I’m probably using the diff lock in mud, tractor wants to plow straight ahead even with wheels turned because both rear turns are going same speed.
4) The lever is still pushed down and I felt it engage when I pushed it.

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #15  
I know this is an old thread, yet few questions:
1) differential lock pedal drops down to the floor from a gentle push. Is it normal?
2) how long before it engages? When stuck, I tried little by little to pedal forward/backward for a minute or two, yet can't say differential got engaged (one rear and one forward rotates, the other two don't)
3) how to tell that differential got engaged?
Most commonly, the diff lock is a pin that slides into a hole to lock it together as one unit. Unless you're lucky, the pin and hole will not be aligned...it takes one wheel to slip or move faster than the other wheel for everything in your axle housing to align in such a way so that pin can catch that hole.

That's why the instructions are, when you're stuck and only have one wheel spinning, to stop, press down gently on the differential pedal, give it a little gas so that the one wheel turns slowly, and the pin will drop in the hole when the turning wheel aligns with the non-turning one. That's what that is when the diff lock pedal goes all the way to the floor.

So, with all that said, if you're pedal always goes to the floor when you press down on it, at any time, I'd venture to say you've got a sheared off pin and no more diff lock. Usually that happens when somebody keeps trying to engage the differential lock while having the wheel spin rapidly.

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #16  
On my GC 1715 I usually stop, press diff lock tab down and get back on "go" pedal.... Always seems to engage when back on go pedal....

Last edited:
   / Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #17  
On my GC 1715 I usually stop, press diff lock tab down and get back on "go" pedal.... Always seems to engage when back on go pedal....
This is my experience as well. Also the only thing that keeps it locked it the pressure on it from the transmission. As soon as you let off the peddle it will disengage. You push the diff lock and apply "go" in one direction and you keep going in the same direction. It is possible that if you are in 4WD that pressure is still applied if the front wheels cannot slip similar to the way it can sometimes be difficult to get it out of 4WD unless you rock forward and reverse.

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #18  
a broken return spring (on gc2400 its on lock lever on transaxle end left side) can make the lock pedal go down very easy and not return and can cause locking to happen when not desired. ask me how I know....

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #19  
I suspect those differential locks are a pin that needs to fit a hole, or a key that must align with a notch.
Slow but sure and you will suddenly feel the lock peddle depress when it is engaged.
Now to disengage you often simply need to ease off the go peddle and it should pop out.

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #20  
I can feel mine lock with my foot. I slooooowly spin or go forward\reverse until it hits the sweet spot then I throttle it up.