Tried new shut off procedure

/ Tried new shut off procedure #1  

diesel_nut

Gold Member
Tractor
~'88 1872(sold); '08 GT2554
1) Turn throttle to idle for 30-60 secs (longer the hotter the engine is).
2) Turn key off AND push throttle up to ~ 3/4 at same time.

The key here is the engine rpms were low to start with (at idle).

It shut down very quickly and no hint of backfire.

I think I like this better than shutting it down while running at 3/4 throttle. Something about throwing all that unspent fuel into a high rpm spinning engine I don't like.

Give it a try. You might like it. Might not.

/ Tried new shut off procedure #2  
Sounds good if it works. I'll have to try it next time. Supposedly when you turn off the key the fuel shutoff solenoid prevents feeding raw gas into the engine. I know there's still gas in the carb bowl but maybe with the inlet closed it doesn't feed the engine.

Bob B.

/ Tried new shut off procedure #3  
That what I have be doing since I got my 5252. I think that when the engine is turned off with the throttle is at idle, the fuel is pulled from the idle circuit in the carb and causes the backfire. With the throttle is pushed to full, there is no fuel to ignite. Just my thoughts.

/ Tried new shut off procedure #4  
Does the little 'pop' you get shutting down the 'other' way bother you that much ?

The reason I asked is my rider does this ever time at shut down.

I learned to live with it. I can't see that it's doing any harm.

/ Tried new shut off procedure
Sometimes it's more than a pop or a poof. It's a VERY loud bang.

/ Tried new shut off procedure #6  
I think that the backfires are not good and causes harm. My muffler developed a crack that I believe was caused by the loud bangs. Anytime that there is a backfire it can't be good.

/ Tried new shut off procedure #7  
My dad was death on any equipment that backfired...he said it's the same thing as a mine explosion and something to be avoided at all costs.

Truthfully I dunno but I still follow that advice.

/ Tried new shut off procedure #8  
Does the little 'pop' you get shutting down the 'other' way bother you that much ?

The reason I asked is my rider does this ever time at shut down.

I learned to live with it. I can't see that it's doing any harm.
I always got more than a little "pop", with both a 1450 and a 3235. It;s loud enough that all the neighbors turn and look. I tried turning the key off and shoving the throttle open at the same time today and it seemed to work.

Bob B.

/ Tried new shut off procedure
From what 'they' always told me, backfires can unseat piston rings and even break them.

/ Tried new shut off procedure #10  
I gotta try that, I hate that backfire, I'm waiting for the muffler to split open!

Thanks,
Curt