Trimming around chain link fence.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #11  
Spray vinegar along the fence line.
I have two weed whipper brush cutters - a Husqvarna with blade for the rough areas (not near the fence, it will destroy the fence); and an Echo trimmer with 3 plastic prongs (way more durable than the string) and when they break it is a simple replacing the prong. I would still stay a foot or so away from the fence. The dog marking territory probably also plays a role.

Put a low box garden bed, along the fence line inside the dog area 12 - 18 inches or so.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #12  
Get a string head to hold large strings. Something that holds .155 or larger. Easy to use and strong enought to take tree shoots out. I'd be done with this job in 10 minutes.
string weeds57.jpg

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #13  
Install the fence 1" above the ground.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #14  
Not doable for everyone, but goats handle it for us.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #15  
Here’s my solution, I have just over 1 acre fenced for my dogs. I too didn’t like trimming the fence line, 2X8 treated drilled out to go over the fence posts, and then a bottom bar to tie the fence to allows me to mow right up to the fence without a lot of trimming, and keeps the dogs from digging and pushing under the fence.
FA9F00EA-9E26-44F1-AA75-8300A4050B8A.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Trimming around chain link fence. #16  
Here’s my solution, I have just over 1 acre fenced for my dogs. I too didn’t like trimming the fence line, 2X8 treated drilled out to go over the fence posts, and then a bottom bar to tie the fence to allows me to mow right up to the fence without a lot of trimming, and keeps the dogs from digging and pushing under the fence.View attachment 773579
That doesn't seem very practical if you've got a couple miles of fence. I'll stick with glyphosate.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #17  
Here’s my solution, I have just over 1 acre fenced for my dogs. I too didn’t like trimming the fence line, 2X8 treated drilled out to go over the fence posts, and then a bottom bar to tie the fence to allows me to mow right up to the fence without a lot of trimming, and keeps the dogs from digging and pushing under the fence.

Yeah, I used railroad ties, half posts and 4x4's.

I had a demon dog, he was big, his jaw power and teeth basically wore out the chain link. He just kept tugging at it until it unraveled.

At least he did not get under the fence. I sunk field fence under all the wood.

He just wanted out and to always be with someone.