Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines #1  

Dave1953

Silver Member
Tractor
5000 Ford, 2019 New Holland Boomer 55 Cab, 935GBH BH
I have had a Boomer 55 on order since May 3, 2019 and it finally made it to US soil about 2 weeks ago in Baltimore but for some reason cant make it a days ride to NC and the dealer can give me no info as to when it will get delivered but be that as it may there are only a few videos on Youtube of this model and no reviews that I can find but there seems to be an abundant supply of LS videos and some of them are saying nasty things about the problems people are having with the XR4155 tractor which is basically a Boomer 55 and equipped with I believe the same engine.
There are some nightmare stories of problems with the engine either going or not going into regeneration, shutting down, different sensors failing, multiple trips to the dealer to fix the same problem and some virtually giving up on getting their LS fixed. Are there any readers on this site with first hand knowledge of the 40 thru 55 HP Boomers made from '17 & up with engine that are having problems? I am very discouraged after looking at some of these LS videos and am having second thoughts about this tractor. If I knew I was gonna have the same problems I would happily tender my 5K down payment that I made last May. Lets hear some response outa you guys ! :confused:

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines #2  
Re: Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines

Good grief, from last may until now to get a tractor, you must be a really devout Boomer person.

As far as I can tell, every smaller Tier 4 final tractor is having emissions issues and even the big ones as well. The emissions mandates have basically ruined Rudolph Diesel's engine (at least for the immediate future or until manufacturers get the hardware and software sorted out) because, at this juncture, it's not.

I read about emission component issues with every brand from Kubota to JD.

I'll keep both my pre-Tier 4 tractors thank you. Used are getting hard to buy and they are really holding their value too. People are getting wise (and frustrated).

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines #3  
Re: Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines

You requested a response. Based on my experience with a Dodge - Cummins and the DPF stuff I opted to get a tractor below the 25 horsepower cutoff on Tier IV. Strictly speaking I don't NEED any more power than that and I sure don't need the associated headaches and expense. I wish you well with your New Holland but I'm now a devoted Kubota fan.

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines #4  

I have owned an XR4155HC for over a year now and have around 75 hours on it-1 regen at about 50 hrs ( as expected) zero issues otherwise.

Probably a half dozen or so regular posters on here with the 40-55 hp LS XR series machines-don’t think any of them have experienced serious issues with their tractors that I can recall.

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines #5  

My Boomer 40 has not had any issues in it's first year and 120 hours.

YouTube videos are hit or miss. By that I mean if there is anything wrong their going to film it and complain. Meanwhile all the other sales don't have a video.

Newer engine designs can have bugs and it takes sales volume to uncover them. 2 years on the market is not that long.

With that said I did see a Farmall 55 in the shop getting a new engine. All I know is the engine was making noise and required replacement.

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines #6  

Kind of reminds me of the 60's when auto manufacturers started building 'smog motors' that were unreliable, got terrible mileage and were component failure prone. Until the technology 'catches up' and components become more reliable, issues will surface. Until then, the end user becomes the 'First article Test' dummy.

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines #7  

1100 or 1200 hrs on my XR4155HC. Only minor issues. None involving the engine or emissons.

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines

That's encouraging, thanks.

/ Trouble with the 2017& up Boomer 40-55 HP Tier 4 compliant common rail engines #9  
No problems with the engine. However the chassis is sub par. Clearing brush we ripped off the fuel line which was unprotected. Fixed that then while running a brush hog lost all hydraulic pressure. Was so pissed I walked home and will fix when i have a better attitude. Hoses for bucket ripped out if the block within 15hrs. Bottom line is that the engine is great but rest of machine was designed with sensitive items unprotected and exposed causing failure 25% of the time i use it. This includes the bucket ladder bending the lower support like a pretzel. Not impressed. Lookes nice but many design aspects are not executed to ensure opertion when doing anything other than plowing and planting. Would never buy another one. $35k should buy a decent tractor!