Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question)

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #11  
jas67,

Did you get a reverse disc? Get the old one off? Figure out a model number?

I'm glad to see someone else has the model with the screws in the reverse disc.

Yes, I got a reverse disc. I'll need to check the part # from home (I'm at work). I'm not 100% sure it is the correct one, and had not gotten the old one off last I had a chance to work on it. I've had the parts for weeks now, but no time to even look at it. I have a day off work on Thursday with no wife or kid at home (those days are VERY rare for me), so I hope to work on it then. I'll keep you posted.

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #12  
I know it is a reply to an old post, but maybe it will help. I had the same tiller and problem. Take out the 3 allen screws that hold the disk. Remove the center bolt.

Then I took a 1 1/2 inch paint scraper with a solid center and beveled edge. I held it up against the inside edge of the reverse disk and tapped it with a hammer. Working around SLOWLY I could see it separating. After the scraper was too small to help any more I Kept the scraper against the disk to protect it and slipped increasingly larger screwdrivers between the pulley and the scraper. It slowly worked its way off without much damage. I agree it looks like one piece.

I remember also that sprayed some penetrent on the shaft to help.

Now I to get rid of the play in the tiller drive shaft. If there is a lot of play, can I keep on shimming or do I need to change bearings, gears or something? At least 1/4 inch after stock shims are in it.

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #13  
I would just keep shimming it. IIRC that is what I did. And replaced the input shaft seal.

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #14  
This is in response to a very old post so I hope someone sees it. I have a mid-70s vintage Horse 2 speed that came with a defunct 6hp Tecumseh (serial number 162677). The age is my best estimate and I have re-powered with a 900 series Briggs. As you can see from the attached photo, there are 3 (I believe threaded) holes that accommodate the Allen screws mentioned by another poster; however, there was never a reverse disc on the machine since I've had it. Now looking to find said disc because I'm too old to be wrestling the thing around. My parts catalog says part no. 1072k with part no. 1287 mounting plate (see attached schematic and parts list). I've see no hard fiber reverse discs with 3 holes in them for the Allen screws. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• oldtroybiltreversepulley.jpg
    oldtroybiltreversepulley.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • troybiltpulleyschematic.jpg
    troybiltpulleyschematic.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 53
  • troybiltrevdiscpartno.jpg
    troybiltrevdiscpartno.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 46
   / Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #15  

Attachments