Troy Built Horse

/ Troy Built Horse #1  

thecoopers

Tractor
Kubota B2920
I have an older Troy Built Horse that has sat for a couple of years. I found the tires to be flat and that there is (minor minor) dry rot and the seal of the rim leaks (tubeless).

My question: Would it be best to purchase some tire sealant (best type recommendations) and put it in OR would there be another better way other than buying new tires?

Thank you.

/ Troy Built Horse #2  
Tubes would be another option.

If you aren't going to use the tiller, you could store it on blocks. If you intend to use it, a new set of bar tread tires should last you for years. I would clean up the rims, maybe repaint them if they are rusted.

If you look at the prices and reviews on the tillers being sold today compared to the older Troy Built Horse tillers, it's worth it to keep the older Troy Built Horse tillers running IMO if you can.

/ Troy Built Horse #3  
Agree with all 2manyrocks says. Harbor Freight has comparatively great prices on tubes. As you consider alternatives, learn what company, and at what charge, tubes can be added to your tires/wheels. Not every tire company can work on small wheels and that company may not be willing to install your tubes - wanting the markup on the sale of their tubes.
Also, investigate wheel/tire/valve stem complete in one assembled alternative. Having the whole shebang delivered to your door, ready to go, may be less than the cost of tube and labor to install and 2 trips to the tire company.

/ Troy Built Horse #4  
The tires on mine "1984 model" came off rather easy. clean and paint the rim and use tubes.
Even weather checked if you use tubes they will last for years.

/ Troy Built Horse #5  
Why don‘t you just put tubes in the tires if they are not holding air?

I picked up this one five years ago and it had sat outside since 1979 and needed new tires, rims and tines. Since the wheels were off I replaced the oil seals and added a new fuel filter and air filter. The rest was just paint. These old Troy Bilt tillers are built to last and need little maintenance. Mine sits all winter, and I add fresh fuel in the spring and she starts on the first pull.

Attachments

• 29FCEF65-D5E7-40FB-A021-81D27CF159AC.jpeg
    29FCEF65-D5E7-40FB-A021-81D27CF159AC.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 127
  • 6E9F7A14-A991-4441-B7EA-4B31D85F8764.jpeg
    6E9F7A14-A991-4441-B7EA-4B31D85F8764.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
   / Troy Built Horse #6  
Tubes would be another option.

If you aren't going to use the tiller, you could store it on blocks. If you intend to use it, a new set of bar tread tires should last you for years. I would clean up the rims, maybe repaint them if they are rusted.

If you look at the prices and reviews on the tillers being sold today compared to the older Troy Built Horse tillers, it's worth it to keep the older Troy Built Horse tillers running IMO if you can.

I agree about keeping & maintaining older Horse tiller.

Mine is 1976 model which I bought for $200 and did repairs like replacing shaft oil-seals, cleaning up carburetor & installing a new petcock and fuel filter etc.

3728 II.jpg

/ Troy Built Horse #7  
what ever you do do NOT put that goop in the tires! It eats the rims up and even if it dont most of the brands ruin the rims cause you cant get it off later when you replace the tires and you will replace the tires!! Put tubes in them and go for years! --- you should see some of my horses tires!! BUT tubes have held for 30 years in 2 of them.

/ Troy Built Horse #8  
I got tired of replacing tine shaft seals on mine and wasn't about to buy a new shaft (old shaft was worn) so I switched from gear oil to corn head grease and all is good and has been for years. Don't use it much, I much prefer the counter rotating tine Cub Cadet I have. Much easier to control.

/ Troy Built Horse #9  
Tillers are hard on tubes. The tubes can spin too easily and pinch the valve stem. If you do use tubes, get the tubes with threaded stems so you can lock the tube in position with the nuts. I had to go that route on my zero turn mower for the same reasons.
hugs, Brandi

/ Troy Built Horse #10  
I got tired of replacing tine shaft seals on mine and wasn't about to buy a new shaft (old shaft was worn) so I switched from gear oil to corn head grease and all is good and has been for years. Don't use it much, I much prefer the counter rotating tine Cub Cadet I have. Much easier to control.

Horse model has been very easy to control, it's nothing like my 5.5 hp Honda Pony was.
The weight of the cast iron engine helps in that regard no doubt.

I wonder how well the Cub Cadet chain drive holds up few decades of use?