Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #11  
I have the same Tecumseh HH60 is in jeittreim's picture. I bought the tiller on CL. It came with the "carb in a bag". I've figured out everything but the choke actuation. It looks like from the picture there is a spring in the choke plate which is pushed when the throttle is opened to full. Is this correct?

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #12  
I have the same Tecumseh HH60 is in jeittreim's picture. I bought the tiller on CL. It came with the "carb in a bag". I've figured out everything but the choke actuation. It looks like from the picture there is a spring in the choke plate which is pushed when the throttle is opened to full. Is this correct?

I have a different model HH60 and my choke is separate completely from the throttle.

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #13  
Sorry to hijack the thread but... I am also experiencing the same problem. I thought I had a weak hh60. I have come to find out today while tinkering some that my governor is to blame for the weak tilling. I understand the basic idea of how a governor is suppose to work. It took me a little time and some research (mostly on this forum) to be able pinpoint the problem. I hope others can get the answers they are looking for to keep these old things running. Thanks to all the members that have helped me. I have one question. If my only goal is to get the most out of my current setup, should I "force" the governor open and just use the thumb throttle to get the desired engine rpm's I am trying to get? If I'm careful not to over rev the engine I should be fine. I don't want to put money into something that doesn't need it, If I can keep it limping along. Thanks again.

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #14  
. If my only goal is to get the most out of my current setup, should I "force" the governor open and just use the thumb throttle to get the desired engine rpm's I am trying to get? If I'm careful not to over rev the engine I should be fine. I don't want to put money into something that doesn't need it, If I can keep it limping along. Thanks again.

I would not override the governor. You hear a lot about these old Tecumsehs throwing rods on high revs. They are great engines when kept within normal use. I would not over-rev them and I would keep the oil at the proper level (check with the ENGINE level) and they will last a long time.

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #15  
I don't have an answer to your ?......

Two things to watch on the old horse model with the Tecumseh engines

1. the carb stick way out on them and if you bump a fence post or something it'll break right off...sometimes your lucky and it only breaks the cast aluminum in the carb.....other times it breaks the cast iron on the block......I always told the customer to buy a bumper for the Tecumseh powered tillers......best $$ they ever spent to keep problems from happening..

2. make sure you keep it full of oil.....maybe just a tad over full.....when you sink them in the ground, the engine is way off of level and the oil runs to one side.......and if your low on oil.....count on a new short block......we used to call them rod slingers....

Now, this does not mean I'm bad-mouthing your tiller....they are great tillers and last for years........but I worked at a Troy dealer for 7 years and I can't tell you how many times people fell over when I tole them the carb was $70 and worse if the block broke.........then I also recall we always kept short-blocks for that particular model......because of slinging rods.....most people never have a problem.....

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #17  
got 6 HH 60's here,----ALL with rods thru the block! Best cure for that is put a 7 hp Kohler on it and go!!

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #19  
Oh, by the way. A Kohler repair kit is a GX series Honda. My 29 year old Horse with the Kohler M8T had an issue with the ignition coil that caused kickback that ruined the recoil. No parts available for the M8T recoil. So I installed a GX270 and really love it
IMG_0417.jpg