Truck Cab & Chassis Question

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
I'm looking ahead a bit on this question but I anticipate the need for adding a farm multipurpose truck(dump & transport). I have a local guy who reasonably makes custom beds to meet job requirements. That leaves me considering a used cab chassis purchase. Since this is newbie territory for me my question is " are all cab & chassis trucks hydraulic ready to accept a dump function and if not is this an easy add?".......Gary

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question #2  
First question is how big of a truck. I'll guess that you would be looking at a "one ton"-which is typically a Ford F-350, Chevy 3500, GMC 3500 etc-bottom line a truck that has a factory tag of 10,000 lbs. You should be able to find numerous clean one tons- equipped with steel dump bodies or raack bodies that have hydraulic hoists. And today, most late model trucks in this wt. range are equipped with electric hydraulic hoists-much like the electric hydraulic hoist used on a snow.plow.

I'll also assume that yo do not have a CDL drivers license which means if you go bigger than a one ton, you will be looking at something no bigger that 26,000 lbs gvw. These would be trucks like a Ford 650, F-600, Chevy C-65, International 4300. these trucks would typically have a PTO opening on their transmissions that would drive a hydraulic pump for the dump body.

So first step how big a truck. Second thought, I would not mess around with some guy who thinks he can build a body. What you are looking for is too readily available-be it a steel dump or a rack dump.

My two cents

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question #3  
Many of the HD "light trucks" have PTO provisions in the transfer case if it is 4x4. I think that would be the way to go- keep in mind I am not an expert, but from what I have seen 12V hydraulic systems on trucks are painfully slow.

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question #4  
I own a Cab and chassis F-350 with a hydraulic PTO pump. First off, I would strongly advise going with a PTO-powered hydraulic pump. They are much faster and give good service.

I know that MOST of the Ford and Dodges with manual transmissions were PTO ready from the factory. SOME of the GM 3500 trucks were PTO ready, but not all. They have to have a special part of the allison transmission that readily accepts the PTO. Ford went away from the man. transmissions after the last update, I'm unsure if their new transmissions are PTO ready. I know on our last one we went Dodge, who still makes the PTO ready std. transmissions. I know for Ford we had to pay about $1,000 more to add on the PTO option on an automatic.

If it were me, I would find about a 2005 F350, 450, or 550 with a manual transmission and a 6.0L powerstroke engine. You can find hundreds of these trucks already configured with a cab and chassis. Then you can sell the bed it's outfitted with now. Try to get one with about 120,000 miles or so. Before you buy the truck negotiate about $2k off the asking price because that's how much you're going to need to fix the engine oil cooler and EGR. You WILL need to fix these two items, sooner or later. After you've fixed these two achilles heels, the 6.0L makes a very nice Cab and Chassis, especially with a hydraulic PTO you can run for hours. You can even rig it up to run a 3500 watt generator or whatever you need. Mine powers a hoist/winch set-up that can raise 12,000 lbs 38 ft up.

Good luck.

I'm looking ahead a bit on this question but I anticipate the need for adding a farm multipurpose truck(dump & transport). I have a local guy who reasonably makes custom beds to meet job requirements. That leaves me considering a used cab chassis purchase. Since this is newbie territory for me my question is " are all cab & chassis trucks hydraulic ready to accept a dump function and if not is this an easy add?".......Gary

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question
Thanks for the replies thus far. Yes, I do not have a CDL.

I'm looking at the F550 and F650 sizes...so is it safe to say that most if not all have PTO provision? The F550 has advantages of 4WD config and the F650 has better engine choices(Cummins, CAT, etc) and often are longer chassis. Upgrades to the F550 6.0L engine is tantalizing as it is easier to find decent lower mileage(~100K miles) at a reasonable purchase price.

The body fabrication aspect is from a reputable local shop and I have seen their work and know many customers. My first premise will be to purchase off-the-shelf body and have modifications made to fit the use but I will be comparing that with a direct build to suit.

Thanks Again, Gary

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question #6  
why not consider purchasing an already built version... espeically off CL or the like.

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question #7  
Electric hoists suck! If you have a local fabricator build a body, you will prolly be better off. Most "truck body" shops use (dump) bodies with a built in sub-frame and 12v pumps. This makes for a real fast installation but results in a "jacked up" bed height, by about 4-5" and the sucky 12v hyd. But it is cheap.$$

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question #8  
Have three f-350 dumps. 2 are 4 wheel drive and diesel. all second hand city or county trucks. Powered by electric over hyd., P.t.o., and hyd motor driven pump mounted with a clutch. The last I like best as you flip a switch and you have good hyd. flow. Bed dumps fast under full load and has the ability to run a auger and salt spreader in the winter. Simple open centered hyd. I like the idea of the local tax payers spending the first 50,000 on these trucks. Second hand you get well maintaned, and for the most part fixable trucks. The last power stroke had a broken shift tube on it. Auctioneer was unable to start the unit and move it backwards or forwards. The shift tube cost 25.00 thru Rock Auto Parts. They break because people use the locked steering wheel to haul themselves into the truck. Good luck getting what you need. P.S. spend money and get a heavy tail gate.

/ Truck Cab & Chassis Question
Your suggestions have prompted me to look deeper into what choices I would be faced with in PTO options and lift mechanism and the relationship to bed height. To come to grasp with some of the PTO choices, with visual connection, I found some of the Muncie literature very helpful especially the following .... http://www.munciepower.com/clientuploads/directory/Resources/TR/TR-G94-01.pdf . Well maintained fleet trucks are appealing as they can be well cared for and lower cost. Thanks for your continued suggestions and ideas....Gary