Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #51  
The best way I've found to deal with large stumps is to try and get a tooth in a place that can act like a wedge to spit it. If it's in the ground I'll use a root coming off the side. On really large ones I've even used the chainsaw to make a slot to get a tooth into. Once you wedge a tooth in you start to curl the bucket. Granted there's not much my 580K can't handle.

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #52  
I recently dug out a multi trunked Alder with my EX60 and it took a minute.
Wish I had an excavator! But I really can't justify one for the few orchard stumps I dig out each year. This one took the better part of an hour. Dug from at least three different settings in a # pattern, then two more sets chasing the lateral root.

For doing this one day a year, this 3-point backhoe is a satisfactory compromise.
20161111_162848rbackhoestump-jpg.603097

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #53  
I recently dug out a multi trunked Alder with my EX60 and it took a minute. They are always bigger and go deeper than you think. I'd have left it but it was right in the way of my friend's future driveway. We just pushed this out into the woods to let nature do it's thing.
One of my favorite home owner excavators. Tried to buy one locally. 14K but it needed a lot of work.
If that pic of a person wasn't in that hole, I would have guessed that it was a 6 ft space with the trees 30 or 40' i the back ground.
I am surprised the EX got that bulk out of there.

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #54  
One of my favorite home owner excavators. Tried to buy one locally. 14K but it needed a lot of work.
If that pic of a person wasn't in that hole, I would have guessed that it was a 6 ft space with the trees 30 or 40' i the back ground.
I am surprised the EX got that bulk out of there.
Funny observation!

When I went back to look at the pic, it's almost as if the person was reduced in size and photo shopped into the scene.

Without the person for perspective, it looks like a typical hole for digging around a 12 inch tree for push-over removal.

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling
Well, forget using the chainsaw. I dulled a chain in no time. Sharpen and repeat. I didn't get much done. So..... there is yet another change in plan. I will have free access to a Vermeer sc70xt stump grinder. I will be doing some other stumps and will attempt to reduce the size of this to something more manageable.

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #56  
If you can roll it with your fel it will help knock the dirt off so it will burn.

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #57  
Not sure a stump grinder is a good idea on a loose stump.

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #58  
I screwed up and did not tell the tree guy to leave me a 4 foot stump. He cut it low. So, here I am. This thing grew on a rock ledge. I have trenched around it, but I can't get it to budge. Any suggestions? Burn it? View attachment 697306
Burn that puppy! 😃

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #59  
If the stump is not in a place that matters, maybe dig the hole a little deeper and fill it with the stump. It will rot. If the hand tool leaning on it is any indication, that is a really big stump - good luck, Larry

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #60  
After any fire is reduced to a glowing ember stump, hit it with a leaf blower and stump will shrink before your eyes.