Tube/Tire Question

/ Tube/Tire Question #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
While using the FEL I noticed my front tire would lose air if the wheels were turned but only under very heavy loads. But it was only on the left front, right front no problem. At one point I had to go back to my truck to add some air to the tire(R1) and put about 22psi in the front. It did fine the rest of the day moving logs.

Go to the barn Saturday and the tire is flat. I take the tire off, put it in the truck and since school is out today I have my wife take it by the tire store I use for tractor tires.

He called and said he could not find a leak so I told him it was most likely between the rim and the tire, check that and put me a tube in to be safe.

Now I have started to think about it and I have never had to put a tube in a front tire on any tractor I've had. Alsways used tubeless even on the 8N and 600 when I had those.

I guess I could just get to the question:rolleyes:

Will the valve stem on the tube be weaker than the tubeless valve stem? Would it be easier to damage?

/ Tube/Tire Question #2  
I'm not sure which valve stem is better, but I have had a problem with a tubed tire. My issue was that if the pressure dropped a little, the tire could spin slightly on the rim. It sounds like yours might be similar. With a tubeless tire you'll only lose more air. With a tubed tire, it will tear off the valve stem and drop your rim to the ground FAST. If it's not too late, ask the tire shop to scuff the rim somewhat to seat the bead tighter.

/ Tube/Tire Question
Ford850 said:
If it's not too late, ask the tire shop to scuff the rim somewhat to seat the bead tighter.

Ok...next question, would the tube not seat the tire the same? Just like a car tire. You would put enough air in the tube to seat the tire then adjust to the desired pressure.

I see your point but would the tubless tire with the tube in it not offer a little better protection from air loss?

I have knocked the stem off the right front before and the tire was flat in a matter of seconds.

And its also too late as the tire is already fixed. If it becomes a problem its not very hard to remove the front tire.

Now if it was the rear it would be a different story. I had to take the rear tire off in the woods last year and haul it out to get it fixed. I don't want to have to go through that again!

/ Tube/Tire Question #4  
You are right, the tube should prevent the air loss, so the tire should remain tight. Should. Just keep a close eye on it. But since it is the front tire it will not be as likely to spin either. My scenario was a "been there, done that". You'll be fine I bet. Mine had to be a fluke.

/ Tube/Tire Question #5  
If you knock the stem off often, then weld a small section of pipe to the rim, as a shroud for the stem. A section of water pipe with a threaded end makes a good shroud.. then run a pipe cap on it to make it even better..

soundguy

/ Tube/Tire Question #6  
Soundguy great idea.
Ive seen the Kubota wheels with 'protectors'
Would be great on the rears as well.
Not a good feeling to hear a loud hiss, and see 'fluid' blowing around.
Personally I prefer tubes.
Even in the smaller lawn tractors they push the idea 'no tubes' to puncture.But get a flat, and there isn't enough tire to accept a plug, and you end up dismounting and patching the tire.
usually easier to find and patch a tube than the tire.
Just my thoughts
Allan

/ Tube/Tire Question #7  
Maybe ask your tire guy about bead sealant?

/ Tube/Tire Question #8  
I try to always use tubes in my ag equipment. Even the hay wagons. With a front loader I normally run the air at around 30 psi. This is a tad high, but My thinking is that the extra weight and loads put on by the loader require it. Look at your truck manual...an older truck that was built to be a worker. The air in the tires should be increased to prevent the tire from rolling off the bead. Fronts on a loader are worse. Smaller tire plus side loads from turning. Tubes allow more weight to be carried by the same tire. The only time I try to keep ag tires a little low on air is in the rears if I am plowing ( I have no 4wd tractors) to increase traction. Low air permits more sidewall flex which allows more tire failures. Just my opinion, I'm no tire expert, but I've never had tire problems with tubes in them unless the tube dry rotted through. Those were put on by my father over 35 years ago. Mike

/ Tube/Tire Question #9  
vallyfarm said:
I try to always use tubes in my ag equipment. Even the hay wagons. With a front loader I normally run the air at around 30 psi. This is a tad high, but My thinking is that the extra weight and loads put on by the loader require it. Look at your truck manual...an older truck that was built to be a worker. The air in the tires should be increased to prevent the tire from rolling off the bead. Fronts on a loader are worse. Smaller tire plus side loads from turning. Tubes allow more weight to be carried by the same tire. The only time I try to keep ag tires a little low on air is in the rears if I am plowing ( I have no 4wd tractors) to increase traction. Low air permits more sidewall flex which allows more tire failures. Just my opinion, I'm no tire expert, but I've never had tire problems with tubes in them unless the tube dry rotted through. Those were put on by my father over 35 years ago. Mike
Good points vallyfarm,
That is exactly what I do with tubed tires. I run the fronts 30+psi and have them loaded as well (for my terrain). I can't see where it would hurt to run tubes in your fronts hunterridgefarm. Of course there are pros and cons for every situation. Most cons are about not being able to plug a leak. However, I would rather have the benefits of a tubed tire as to not having them just for the sake of easy plugging. IMO making tire repair (which may happen frequently or maybe not at all) a priority concern over tire performance (which is your daily use of the tire) seems it should be the other way around? Some may disagree, but that;s how I feel about it.

Soundguy has a really good suggestion about the valve stem protectors. There are several tractors with that as a standard feature.

/ Tube/Tire Question #10  
Generally, I do not recommend my customers put a tube in a tubeless tire EXCEPT in an ag application. Stuff tends to work its way between the rim flange and the tire, in ag applications, and cause an air leak. We seem to have less problems, again in ag applications, if we put tubes in tires.