Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid for Tuff Torq K71E?

/ Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid for Tuff Torq K71E? #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

I'm changing the oil on my Tuff Torq K71E lawnmower transmission and noticed Tuff Torq is now calling for "Tuff Tech 5W50 Hydro Fluid" in place of the 10W30 dino oil the owners manual specified. When changing fluid on other hydro systems, they called for Mobile 1, so going to a synthetic (or blend) seems sensible.

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/in...echInfo/ttcoil/pdfs/Fluids and Lubricants.pdf

The question is what is a suitable substitute for this branded fluid? I'm all about using the correct fluid, but I can't find this stuff locally and dang, it pricey even on E-bay! I've asked the folks at Tuff Torq via e-mail to provide the API they require and have yet to hear back from them. I can't imagine they will want me sourcing other oils they not making cash on.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

/ Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid for Tuff Torq K71E? #2  
I bought it from tufftorque. Jug did not give the weight.

/ Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid for Tuff Torq K71E? #3  
15W or 20W50 is normally what is used in at least summer use machines. Should this be on something you use in a unit with snowthrower , stick with something that has a lower winter number or even the 10W30 if all has been fine so far.

/ Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid for Tuff Torq K71E?
I received the following from Tuff Torq on my question of what this Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid really is...

"It is a 5W-50 synthetic motor oil."

Now that make is much easier and cheaper for me! They were getting about $45 for 3 liters of this stuff on eBay.

K7LN, that was/is my main concern trying to source this oil. On the one hand, they install 10W30 oil from the factory and specify the Tuff Tech oil when changed. I asked for that info specifically in my first e-mail to Tuff Torq and they only gave me "5W50 synthetic motor oil" answer. I've gone back to them asking for the API of that oil. Will report back when I hear from them.

/ Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid for Tuff Torq K71E? #6  
Why would the API matter?

K7LN, you are correct! They responded with "it super special" and they can't really answer that question. I've serviced an older Simplicity Colt zero turn's hydraulic system and it called for 15W-50 Mobile 1 synthetic in the manual. Figure if that works for the hydraulics in the old commercial zero turn, it should work in my older Simplicity Landlord.

Really believe these guys are just making a bunch of money on oil.

Tomplum, API is spelled out here. If the company was looking for a specific API, I would seek it out.

API Engine Oil Lubricant Specifications - oilspecifications.org

/ Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid for Tuff Torq K71E? #8  
Think back to when the t/a was built and the few times that API had actually "advanced". I get wanting the best oil packages to help though. Used to buy ELF (French oil ) for a particular application. You take TTs position, when it left the factory had 10w30 engine oil in it that worked fine, but as things wear and issues develop gave a thumbs up to 50 weight oil, it isn't really rocket surgery. Sure, different additives lessen wear and enhance stability. Zinc. Better for combustion engines. Better for hydraulic work? That's why if you are really concerned, you pay the piper. One way or the other. That's the way life works. But does the ole K71 really care one way or the other? Your quest continues!

Yep - for the 4 liters I need of Tuff Torq oil will cost about 80 buck via e-bay. And the little paper filter for that K71 runs about 40 bucks!

I'm so **** tight with money, I squeak...

/ Tuff Tech Transmission Fluid for Tuff Torq K71E? #10  
Does yours have the filter? I'm guessing this is for the Landlord, which I don't know if all had power steering or not. When I do JD, unless it has outside hydraulics or power steering it doesn't have the filter. If memory is correct low vis is equivalent to 10w30. You may even check JD on the filter price if you have one.