Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #61  
Regarding the transaxle oil TT has this chart. JD has their own hydraulic oil, Hy-Gard- Hi (Low) viscosity. But TT dose not recommend the JD HyGard. Some JD tractors use the transaxle to power other hydraulic devices on the tractor. That is my take on why this discrepancy. If you do not use other hydraulic implements I would use what TT recommends. It is not clear exactly what the TT brand oil is but many think it is either Full Synthetic 5w-50 or 15w-50. The JD Hy-gard is 10w-30 as best I can tell.

You can ad drain plugs. You need two because there are two chambers. There are bosses cast in to the casing to make the drilling and tapping easy. TT has a kit to do this. You can also just get your own drain plugs. Unfortunately on most models you have to pull the unit to add the oil. On all units you have to pull it to change the filter and clean the magnets. The drain plugs allows you to drain it hot which is an advantage.

I also added a rebuild tip sheet from TT. I hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• Fluids and Lubricants.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Tips for Tuff Torq Repair Kits (K46, K57, K574, T40 MODELS).pdf
    299.8 KB · Views: 89
   / Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #62  
Hello: I have a Deere X300 lawn tractor. It has a Tuff Torq in it. About 3 years ago it started losing power and making lots of hydro noise. I live on a hill with steep slopes and I use a rear bagger for grass, I dropped the rear axle and drained the oil and replaced it with 20-50 synthetic. So far so good. I turned the transaxel over and placed it on jack stands and drained it into oil pan. Take your time. try to get as much of the old oil out as possible. It took me 30 minutes . Turn the input shaft intermittently to move the old oil out.
Knock on wood...that worked for me.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?
I remember when I rebuilt mine there was a tiny little part they said, don’t lose and make sure you put it back.
That's the tiny pin that allows the machine to free wheel. I did put it back, with a little grease on it to make sure it did not move...

Hello: I have a Deere X300 lawn tractor. It has a Tuff Torq in it. About 3 years ago it started losing power and making lots of hydro noise. I live on a hill with steep slopes and I use a rear bagger for grass, I dropped the rear axle and drained the oil and replaced it with 20-50 synthetic. So far so good. I turned the transaxel over and placed it on jack stands and drained it into oil pan. Take your time. try to get as much of the old oil out as possible. It took me 30 minutes . Turn the input shaft intermittently to move the old oil out.
Knock on wood...that worked for me.
Thanks. I did drain it. But based on all the metal filings on the magnets - I rebuilt it. But something went wrong when I put it back together; or I assume something went wrong. Because it sure isn't working. Whining... Trying to figure out what to do.

Last edited:
   / Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #65  
Ok this guy Taryl had a couple good videos about these transmissions. Makes me want to take mine apart. His videos take a bit of getting used to.

Ok this guy Taryl had a couple good videos about these transmissions. Makes me want to take mine apart. His videos take a bit of getting used to.
Thanks. Someone else posted his complete rebuild earlier in this thread. I watched it the last time I rebuilt my TT tranny and did again for this one. Wish he didn't do the plastic teeth or hair, but, whatever. I knows what he's doing. Very helpful

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #67  
His technical content is very good. Enough detail and good video views. I dont care for the dramatic entertainment component. Fast forward through it. He apparently has a good time doing it but it is not my thing.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #68  
Though changing oil and which oil is used has been discussed for a long time,I don't recall anyone having old oil analyzed. It's well known diesel engines shear oil and can be tested to see know how much a particular engine does. Has anyone had samples tested. Collectively everything I've heard about TT make's me believe they would benefit from periodic oil changes.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #69  
Let us know how you come out. Fingers crossed.

Let us know how you come out. Fingers crossed.
GREAT UPDATE: IT'S WORKING ....VERY WELL!!!

I don't know what the heck I did, other than remove the tranny, bring it back on the bench, checked the fluid level again (just where it was when I first topped it off after rebuild). I did spin/turn the splined shaft of the tranny again (that the pulley goes on), and played with the "freewheel" lever in & out, also the "throttle" lever, etc. and everything moved freely ...as it did the first time. Still did not see the axles turn with the splined shaft, but, ...went ahead and reinstalled on tractor. This time, with the wheels still off and jackstands underneath, started up the machine and "gently hit the gas" and the axles turned. As well, there was no whining like in the video I posted. Reverse worked too. Put the wheels back on, lowered to ground ...and drove away like a boss. Strong as heck. Didn't drive for 20+ minutes to see if there was power loss, I'm assuming I'll be good there.

Bottom line, it's working now!!!! Thank you all so much. Not sure if I did some final bleeding or get an air bubble out of it (I burped it!!!), but, she's working. Thanks sooooo much!!!!

Jay