Snow Turf Tires in the Snow

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #1  

taborekle

Gold Member
Tractor
Kobuta B2920
Hi all,

We got SLAMED in the Clements Maryland area. In a area where we typically get 4 inches of snow a year, we have about 20 inches on the ground right now. So I was definitely cussing myself for not buying a set of chains for the tractor.

But on Saturday while it was still snowing, I got out my B2920 and put the back blade on (5 ft) and the little tractor did ok. I could blade both up my rather steep hills and down them with no difficulty. 4 wheel drive was required all the time, and on the hill climbs I had the differential lock on for most climbs.

Now my neighbor Brian had already complained about the blading done on our private lane last winter. Every 2 years all the neighbors pitch in and buy new milling for our lane. So when a friend of ours balded our lane last year they turned some of it over (loosing the milling). Brian didn't like that, and mindfull of his complaining, I turned my blade around backwards so that I would not take up any of the milling when I bladed on Saturday.

That seemed to work, but much of the snow was just compacted. On Sunday and today, I turned the blade around (scope forward) and did many passes on our Lane. Each pass brought up another 1/2 inch or so of snow and ice. So after about 20 passes, we had black top showing and I hadn't taken up very much of the milling.

The little tractor I think did very well. Then turf tires and no chains had enough grip to allow me to blade both up and down the hills. My son and wife both commented that the tractor did a great job.

Larry

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #2  
I have the Kubota cabbed B3030, before that a B1550, and before that a B6200, all with turf tires. I swear by turfs for snow removal.

Attachments

• 100_1346.jpg
    100_1346.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 565
   / Turf Tires in the Snow #3  
taborekle
What is the difference between black top and milling?

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #4  
I'm with srs...... two of my three tractors have worked winters with turfs, and i have never had a problem getting around! 20" of snow is not uncommon up here. I've never used chains.

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #5  
I have been debating getting the rim guard for my tires. I see you have it in your tires, and I would assume it really helped while pushing/ pulling the snow. One question does the added weight in the rear leave imprints on you lawn in the spring/ summer? I also have a 2920 with turfs also and so far this year it has been great in the snow!

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #6  
I have been debating getting the rim guard for my tires. I see you have it in your tires, and I would assume it really helped while pushing/ pulling the snow. One question does the added weight in the rear leave imprints on you lawn in the spring/ summer? I also have a 2920 with turfs also and so far this year it has been great in the snow!

Loaded tires do not leave any imprint on my lawn / turfs.

The extra weight does indeed make a difference in traction as well as balast for the front loader.

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #7  
I don"t have loaded tires and I have R4's. Never had a problem pulling trees over the snow, pushing snow, or pulling Chevy's out of snow banks:p!

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #8  
I have pushed a LOT of snow with turfs and they have not performed any worse then my neighbor's tractor with R4's. If you get snow and freezing rain around the early and late winter like we do chain on the tires is the way to go.

NH Dragon
You should give the loaded tires a shot. I didn't think I need them until I ended up with a set of loaded rears. (longish story) I thought it made the tractor into whole different machine. A better one.

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #9  
taborekle
What is the difference between black top and milling?

seems to me that milling is blacktop all grinded upfrom old roads/driveways and put down loose. blacktop is , well blacktop. - lol :rolleyes:

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #10  
I have pushed a LOT of snow with turfs and they have not performed any worse then my neighbor's tractor with R4's. If you get snow and freezing rain around the early and late winter like we do chain on the tires is the way to go.

NH Dragon
You should give the loaded tires a shot. I didn't think I need them until I ended up with a set of loaded rears. (longish story) I thought it made the tractor into whole different machine. A better one.

I have nothing against weighted rears, There is a few lawns I mow in the summer that have damp areas and even with no extra weigh I still start to leave rut like marks. They go away in a week or two but I think that would be worse as well as turning with loaded. I get along fine with my weight box the rest of the time, That's also how I carry my tools!;)