Snow Turf Tires in the Snow

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #31  
Hi NuBuota,

My dealer is Hugh Gardiner on Rt 301 south of La Plata. They have been very nice and easy to deal with, and I think I got a fair deal on my Kubota.

I took my 5 ft blade and offset it today and ran it up and down our lane. Again I think that a 6 ft blade would be even better, as it would mean another 6 inches that the blade would hang out, or that the tractor could stay more on the road. Trying to push back the previous mounds of snow meant that I had to put the outside wheels up on the snow bank, which in turn would tilt the tractor and the blade down on the inside road side. Not what I wanted as I'm trying not to tear up our milling.

I really see the advantage though to having a quick offset. It took me my giant socket set and 30 minutes to unbolt the blade and move it to the offset holes. And then if I wanted to move the offset to the opposite side, that's another 30 minutes of work:(. It really taught me the advantage of the quick offset. Definitely that's what I want.

Thanks for the tip on the 2 places to look for used attachments. I'll look them up.

Larry

ONE way to let the blade follow the road that it is on (instead of the road the tractor is on) is to replace the side links with chains.
This works for rakes and rototillers too, though off-setting the rototiller wouldn't make a lot of sense (-:
but when it hits a BIG rock or root at least it only kicks up one end and generally those are NOT in the middle of the tilling path, it saves a bit of a beating on ME anyway.
Just find the anchor shackle that fits the lower lift arms' side link holes, I think mine are for 3/8 chain but that would vary by tractor make/model.
Similar solution at the ends of the rock shaft arms, I think mine are 5/16 there.

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #32  
Hi NuBuota,

My dealer is Hugh Gardiner on Rt 301 south of La Plata. They have been very nice and easy to deal with, and I think I got a fair deal on my Kubota.

I took my 5 ft blade and offset it today and ran it up and down our lane. Again I think that a 6 ft blade would be even better, as it would mean another 6 inches that the blade would hang out, or that the tractor could stay more on the road. Trying to push back the previous mounds of snow meant that I had to put the outside wheels up on the snow bank, which in turn would tilt the tractor and the blade down on the inside road side. Not what I wanted as I'm trying not to tear up our milling.

I really see the advantage though to having a quick offset. It took me my giant socket set and 30 minutes to unbolt the blade and move it to the offset holes. And then if I wanted to move the offset to the opposite side, that's another 30 minutes of work:(. It really taught me the advantage of the quick offset. Definitely that's what I want.

Thanks for the tip on the 2 places to look for used attachments. I'll look them up.

Larry

Same dealer here - very happy with them as well.

I agree with you on the offset - it would be very useful feature. The RB60 doesn't have offset unless you drill your own holes.

I think Reg has a good alternative with the chains - also skid shoes may help (I have these). I am not as thorough as you getting all the way to the edge. I angle my blade to the right - clear as far to the right on the first pass(es) then work to the left/middle. Then I straighten the blade and shave the bank and push the resultant pile(s) into a pile

Let me know if you want more details on those other two places....

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #33  
One thing that is not usually considered in these discussions about tires is that all tires of any configuration are not created equal. The rubber compound, the design of the tire, and the size all make a difference. As one poster mentioned some will fill with snow, or mud much faster than others of the same general type. I have good side stability with my R-4's, but some designs don't, etc.

/ Turf Tires in the Snow #34  
Hi Gang- dcole from seacost NH
I have a Cub Cadet 7265 26 hp 4WD hydro with 41x14-20 Turf tires with 200 lbs. weights on each wheel. I use the FEL and Landpride 2584RB (7' rear blade) to move snow. Driving backwards and pushing with the blade works well. More powerful then pulling and don't get thrown to the side. Plus 7' blade clears tire width for easier bank pushing back. Neighbor has loaded tires and tractor goes better and feels more stable in snow.
Considering buying 2nd set of turf tires and rims and loading each with 350 lbs. liquid (dealer told me) plus the 200 lbs. of weights for increased traction and stability??? Then running my old set without weights for mowing. :confused: