Turn Lights, Flashers, Burned out bulb

/ Turn Lights, Flashers, Burned out bulb #1  

DannyD

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX 23
My Bota is lighting things up, without the switch on.

Right turn signal lights the small light on the rops. Large light on the rops does not work. Left turn does nothing, since the left small and large light are on all the time. Emergency flashers do nothing, since most likely the bulb is out in the right side. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Worst of all, K says it is NOT a warranty item to fix the bulb, and they get 11.00 for the whole sealed unit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Does this make sense to anyone, and does someone know the fix. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have not modified the lighting in any way.

/ Turn Lights, Flashers, Burned out bulb #2  
I'm not really familiar with your tractor...but the flashers should work key on or not. Burned out bulbs should not affect whether they work or not - any working bulbs should still work fine. I don't have turn signals, so I can't speak to that. Your other lights (headlights) should only come on with the key switch on.

Not sure if you are under warranty for this, but it sounds like you have a bad flasher relay. The bulbs are not warranty items, but the relay probably is - although they may classify it as the same type of thing as the bulbs and not warrant it. If it is only an 11 dollar part, I'd just pay it and see if that fixes it - and if not, then raise a fuss.

/ Turn Lights, Flashers, Burned out bulb #3  
If it is the bulb that is causing the problem because it is burned out, then replace it. The entire fixture doesn't need to be replaced. You can pry the lens off with a flat bladed screwdriver. Take the burned out bulb down to your local auto parts store and purchase a new one. I don't see how this can be a burned out bulb, because the bulb wouldn't have this type of effect. I believe that the switch might be more likely the culprit. To start to resolve the problem, open each lamp by removing the lens from one side. Then verify visually or by replacing with a new bulb that they are all good. Then turn on the headlamps and see if the tail lamps light. If they do, then you know that the headlamp switch is OK. Then try the right and left side flashers. If they work properly, then that indicates that the flasher switch is OK. If they don't work, then it is either the switch or the flasher. If it is the flasher, then the bulb will light and stay on without flashing. If it is the switch, the bulb will not light at all. If this system works, then the last system to check is the double emergency flashers. The same rules apply to this system as the directional signal flashers. Another problem that is common is that one flasher will loose its "ground" connection and will seek a path to ground through another light in the system. This is called a feed back problem. To rectify this, just re establish the ground by cleaning and tightening the mounting bolts. Some light fixtures also use a separate ground wire that bolts to a body part. Look for this wire also. The last problem to look for is a crushed wire that has its insulation scraped off or is broken, causing the system to have a feed back condition. If you attack this problem systematically, you will locate the problem.

/ Turn Lights, Flashers, Burned out bulb
Thanks Junkman. I am going to do this, knowing that it is either the bulb, flasher or switch, I am leaning to the switch, since they will come on without the switch being activated. I am really not happy that it came back from 100 hours service like this, but have no way to prove that either. Now that I have the new truck, though I can pick up my tractor AFTER checking it out BEFORE leaving the dealer

I will post what I find out, since I did not see anything else on this when I searched for it.

/ Turn Lights, Flashers, Burned out bulb #5  
It could also be that the switch can be opened and cleaned of any dirt that might have gotten into it. If the tractor is left outside, then water can migrate into the switch from the rain. If it is inside when not being used, then it could be that the switch is defective and not repairable. Try operating the switch about 20 times from on - off - on to see if this might relieve the problem. If it does, then replace the switch if it continues to give you problems. If it resolves the problem and it doesn't reoccur, they you are "home free"....... If you have to open the switch for cleaning, put some Vaseline in there when you reassemble it. This will help to keep the water out and protect the contacts. In all probability it is the switch contacts that are causing the problem..
Nice pup in you arms... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif