Turn wheel when tipping over?

/ Turn wheel when tipping over? #41  
The Kioti book says in general keep the heavy end of the tractor towards the uphill. Heavy front drive forward up hill and back down, heavy back end just the opposite. A friend roll/tipped his cut forward when the rear brakes were skidding and dropped the bucket and it rolled forward onto the canopy(four wheel drive needs to be engaged).

/ Turn wheel when tipping over?
The Kioti book says in general keep the heavy end of the tractor towards the uphill. Heavy front drive forward up hill and back down, heavy back end just the opposite. A friend roll/tipped his cut forward when the rear brakes were skidding and dropped the bucket and it rolled forward onto the canopy(four wheel drive needs to be engaged).

Interesting. So if said tractor has no load in the bucket but a heavy box-blade on the back, should go down hill forward then back up hill in reverse (again no load in the bucket)?

/ Turn wheel when tipping over? #43  
Interesting. So if said tractor has no load in the bucket but a heavy box-blade on the back, should go down hill forward then back up hill in reverse (again no load in the bucket)?
This is getting too complicated for me. I think slow and low and then when in a pickle stop, get off, and figure it out. Call a friend if you can't.

/ Turn wheel when tipping over? #44  
To the OP's original question:

Lots of (VERY valid) exceptions to what I'm about to say were raised in this thread, e.g., if there's a large wood chuck hole on the LOW side, or a rock, etc..., on the HIGH side, things might require a different solution. And the whole "take a TIME OUT and THINK" approach (if time allows) is certainly worth it's weight in gold.

But, in the OP's original hypothetical, with all other things being equal (meaning, a uniform terrain, hilltop to the left, low side to the right) and the machine starts to feel "light" on the UPHILL side:

TURN DOWNHILL.

My Hoe

And why does this work? Because you have 2 choices when tipping: 1) move the weight or 2) move the fulcrum. The fulcrum moves much more easily and faster than trying to move the weight. So move the fulcrum downhill FROM the outside of your downhill tire TO the front axle, while the weight stays more stationary (not entirely so, but more so). You've just lengthened the lever arm of the weight from the width of the tractor to the length of the tractor.

/ Turn wheel when tipping over? #45  
My Hoe said:
Quote Originally Posted by My Hoe View Post
To the OP's original question:

Lots of (VERY valid) exceptions to what I'm about to say were raised in this thread, e.g., if there's a large wood chuck hole on the LOW side, or a rock, etc..., on the HIGH side, things might require a different solution. And the whole "take a TIME OUT and THINK" approach (if time allows) is certainly worth it's weight in gold.

But, in the OP's original hypothetical, with all other things being equal (meaning, a uniform terrain, hilltop to the left, low side to the right) and the machine starts to feel "light" on the UPHILL side:

TURN DOWNHILL.

My Hoe

And why does this work? Because you have 2 choices when tipping: 1) move the weight or 2) move the fulcrum. The fulcrum moves much more easily and faster than trying to move the weight. So move the fulcrum downhill FROM the outside of your downhill tire TO the front axle, while the weight stays more stationary (not entirely so, but more so). You've just lengthened the lever arm of the weight from the width of the tractor to the length of the tractor.

RaydaKub,

Thank you for your very coherent, yet concise explanation.

I never tried to put it into words, and I doubt I could have equaled your success, despite having advanced degrees.

I'm guessing you have an engineering degree--mechanical, perhaps?

Thanks again--and I'm sure the OP will appreciate your analysis, too.

My Hoe

/ Turn wheel when tipping over? #46  
Electrical engineering. But enough physics and basic mechanical engineering required to explain what the old farm boy already knew. ☺