Turning radius of semi truck with trailer

/ Turning radius of semi truck with trailer #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
I am currently laying out my driveway, and need to know the minimum radius to put in my turns to be able to put a semi truck and trailer down the drive.

I plan on it being 12' width, and there will be no S turns, basicly just a big squared off U but I need for the radius's to be fairly tight, but I do not want too make them too tight to where the large trucks cannot make the swing.

Is there a standard for this that someone is familiar with?

/ Turning radius of semi truck with trailer #2  
Generally, the tighter the radius, the wider the road needs to be. I would bet that a 12-foot wide drive, would require a 100' radius. I am building a drive with a 60' radius, and 16' wide drive. This works for my 65-foot -long motor-home/trailer combo. I have a 30' radius at the entrance, but the road is 25' wide there.

/ Turning radius of semi truck with trailer #4  
If you want a semi to be able to turn at all you need at least 20' of width. Per the chart on the link 27' feet of width is required to make a 90 degree turn. The chart does not state how long a trailer it refers to (at least I didn't see it) but I know to make a 90 degree turn with a 53' trailer requires at least 27'.
12 feet is a pretty narrow driveway. It would be tough to turn a pickup and trailer very tightly on a 12' driveway without running the wheels off the pavement or gravel.

/ Turning radius of semi truck with trailer #5  
Depends on the trailer -- mine is 53 foot long so even if I could pivot on one spot would need at least that to u turn. I cant U turn on most roads for that reason, takes a 4 lane road and then I hang over one end or the other.

To just turm, 15 to 18 meters is the design for highways
( http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/oppd/hdm/pdf/chp0400.pdf )

A lot will depend on driver skill and settings of the trailer axle as well as type of cab (day, OTR, single screw or twin or three axle or better) that will be using it!
I would at least enlarge before the turns to 20 foot wide depending on degree.

/ Turning radius of semi truck with trailer #6  
AlanB said:
I am currently laying out my driveway, and need to know the minimum radius to put in my turns to be able to put a semi truck and trailer down the drive.

I plan on it being 12' width, and there will be no S turns, basicly just a big squared off U but I need for the radius's to be fairly tight, but I do not want too make them too tight to where the large trucks cannot make the swing.

Is there a standard for this that someone is familiar with?

CHAPTER 3 ROAD DESIGN