Two 1957 models

/ Two 1957 models #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
Way back in 1971 my wife's older brother bought a cheap mobile home for he & his new bride to live in and parked it on his parents property. He sold it to his sister (my wife) 20 years ago and for the past 12 years we've used it as a weekend getaway. Now the folks are selling the land and the ol' trailer gotta be moved. BUT before we try to move it down the highway where it could very well fly apart into tiny pieces - we have to take anything that means anything out of it. Primarily the '57 GE fridge that has been in constant use since her grandmother bought it new. It worked well to raise the carryall to door level and eased the fridge out onto it - then reversed the procedure into the shed for storage for a few days. I told her to stand there like she was trying to sell it .... I MEANT THE FRIDGE DEAR ! --

Attachments

• 297614-bernice.jpg
    297614-bernice.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 497
   / Two 1957 models
Naturally the door at the new location -- 8 miles away or so - is too high for the carryall so.... pull out the manlift - or at least parts of it. It breaks down for easy storage. I put the top rail on sorta backwards and left off the 2 front legs and other horizontal rails..

Attachments

• 297617-manlift.jpg
    297617-manlift.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 328
   / Two 1957 models
Thence loaded from the truck and tied on tight --- notice I had to level the ground in front of the door so the tractor and lift would be level and the fridge would go in the door

Attachments

• 297619-ready to stab.jpg
    297619-ready to stab.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 301
   / Two 1957 models
Piece o' cake -- so many jobs are made so much easier with the right tools ... and I always seem to need more .. darn the luck.

Attachments

• 297623-in-da-door.jpg
    297623-in-da-door.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 271
   / Two 1957 models #5  
Nice pictures, Mike, and the right tool sure is nice to have.

And speaking of "old" refrigerators brings back memories. We bought our first house in 1968 and we were broke at the time, moving from a furnished apartment where we had been assistant managers, so we had no furniture. I happened to have been acquainted with a dealer who sold new, used, antique, and junk (mostly junk) because I had worked an estate sale for him. So that's where we bought a house full of furniture, some new, some used, but including a used GE refrigerator. Now it was obvious that the refrigerator had a few years on it and that it was originally white, but someone had painted it PINK! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif However, it worked well and the guy gave me a 90 day warranty on it. Well, after about 6 months and with it still working fine, my wife wanted it to be a different color; preferably to match the new coppertone washing machine that sat next to it in the kitchen (anyone old enough to remember when coppertone appliances were popular?). So I decided to paint it (actually turned out to be pretty easy and came out very well), but figured I'd replace the old cracked door gaskets at the same time. So I got the model and serial numbers, went to the GE warehouse, and they had the gaskets in stock. So I asked the guy how old it was . . . and he said it was a 1946 model. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It was still working fine when I gave it away in 1973 after we had bought a new house and new appliances. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Two 1957 models
I replaced the door seal on this one -- when I gave the tech the part # he said that it wasn't a part number he had ever heard of -- I told him to look it up -- sure 'nuff it was listed and so was the seal - drop shipped to me the following week.

/ Two 1957 models #7  
Mike, that refrigerator reminds me of an old round-top refrigerator I had in a rental shop. Some former renter had set it out back. I brought it into the shop and plugged it in to find out it worked just fine, but it had a broken latch. No problem... I just put a long sheet metal screw in the side and used a bungee cord to hold the door closed.:eek: It kept my drinks and water cold and I just left it for the next guy when I sold the shop. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Two 1957 models #8  
I also had one of the old round top fridge's in our last garage. Worked fine, just got rid of it when we got a newer one given to us.[early 60's model] Wasn't it great, back in a time when things were ment to last forever. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Two 1957 models #10  
My favorite frig is one in a friend's sports car garage. It's pink too, with a huge pig drawn on the front. In place of the snout on the pig are two draft handles connected to kegs inside the frig. Mighty nice to have a cold one after a hot day working on cars.