Two injured seriously by farm tractor

/ Two injured seriously by farm tractor #81  
Maybe I shouldn't add this. But it would be my bet, that every tractor that was attempted to be started from the ground, that was in gear without interlock, will probably not, jump to life, killing or injuring the operator. But then I did say, that a friend has done this 50,000 or so times, so the chances probably add up.

/ Two injured seriously by farm tractor #83  
You start second guessing yourself too. Too many times something has been behind the pillar of my truck, out of sight, and now, I can't look enough.

/ Two injured seriously by farm tractor #85  
I keep forgetting if the one way was clear or not before I looked the other way, so I have to look back again.

Where we going again? :laughing:

/ Two injured seriously by farm tractor #86  
Maybe I missed it in all these opinion posts.... how could he start it with only the solinoid? It should only move till he drops the short across the terminal. The injection or plugs -gas or diesel? Should not be operational. How did he shut it off right before this happened?

/ Two injured seriously by farm tractor #87  
Diesel with mechanical fuel shutoff integrated in the throttle linkage. If the throttle is cracked a couple revolutions and it is running. No voltage required after the starter disengages.

/ Two injured seriously by farm tractor #88  
Never seen one "integrated" into the throttle. Most often a pull knob, that you "Pull to shut down the fuel supply" and then usually it's spring loaded or you push it back in, ready for starting.

/ Two injured seriously by farm tractor #89  
To shutdown a 1066 IH you fully push the hand throttle to the stop,
usually you than open it back up abit to be ready to start.

If all the linkages are lined up and working after you clutch it and stop you move the range shifter to neutral,
then lower the park lever down, then push the throttle all the way to the left to shut the engine down many times it will spring back open a bit when you release it.

Normal start, check that the throttle is open a bit, key on, push the starter switch.

Then to engage Hi or Low range, pull up on the park lock, brakes on select Hi / Lo or reverse, the other lever 1,2,3,or 4 and go.

/ Two injured seriously by farm tractor #90  
Thanks. Interesting. Was that something unique to IH? The knob was often confusing. Back in 72, the manual for ou new Diesel, seemed to imply you had to push it, while starting. Examining the linkages on the pump would reveal what it did and how to use it.h