Two things I will never understand in life...

/ Two things I will never understand in life...
So it kinda goes to show that there are differences between locations of the same company. Kinda like we all know a McDonalds location that just has a lot better service than the other McDonalds. I think it's all a reflection of the store manager as to how the store is run.
When I worked for a large national company across the US, I explained that we were no different than Micky D's. You knew what you were going to get, you just didn't know how you were going to get it 😁

When I was in sales, I had nice wall calenders made up for daily appointments during the month. At the top, I had it personalized stating "people don't buy from companies, they buy from people". Always has been, and always will be true.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #42  
RE: your credit scores. My score is exceptionally high. Like you - I wonder why. One of the credit score monitoring web sites told be if I only had additional credit cards and more than my one credit account - my score would be higher.

I've alway paid cash for everything except day-to-day stuff. Even the house we built here in '82 was paid in cash. The Taco Wagon - cash. My tractor - cash.......etc, etc.

This credit score web site know EXACTLY what my spending habits are. Why would they think I need more than one credit card or need to put something on a payment plan.

I guess some folks would buy into this just to get their credit score a little higher.

RE: Tires. I've always purchased one brand of tire - TOYO - and have had very good performance with this brand. There is a dealership that serves the western USA - Les Schwab. Outstanding. And they sell TOYO tires.
I see my credit score change a few points up or down occasionally, but always well above 800.
I have 3 credit cards, and play the cash back game.
Never pay any interest!
At our age..... who gives a rip what their credit score is anyway?

Last edited:
   / Two things I will never understand in life... #43  
   / Two things I will never understand in life... #45  
We have a chain tire company (not discount) that moved into our area a few years ago, so I thought I'd give them a try.

Picked up the car after new tires installed, they handed me the keys and paperwork and I went out to the car. First thing I did was push the little buttons on the dash to check the tire pressures. They were all different and a large spread from 32psi. So I went back in and told them. They ran out and made them all even and correct.

Then I read the paperwork, and there was a hand written note that said they couldn't reset the tire locations because there was no key fob (I didn't leave them the fob). So I went back in and asked them what that meant. They said they needed the fob to set the tire pressure monitors to the correct tire location. Meaning the car didn't know which tire was which, so right rear could be anywhere on the car. I asked them if they were going to tell me this or I'd just find out on my own? They reset the TPM and off I went.

A few weeks later several of the tires lost air. So I took it back. They took the tires off the rims and said the rims were heavily corroded, so they cleaned them up and put bead sealant on them. I asked them why they didn't do that the first time. Shoulder shrugs. No charge.

A few weeks later several of the tires lost air. So I took it back. They took the tires off the rims and said the rims were heavily corroded, so they cleaned them up and put bead sealant on them. I asked them why they didn't do that the first time. Shoulder shrugs. No charge.

A few weeks later several of the tires lost air. So I took it back. They took the tires off the rims and said the rims were heavily corroded, so they cleaned them up and put bead sealant on them. I asked them why they didn't do that the first time. Shoulder shrugs. No charge. Drove off and got on the highway. Car shook like the tires were out of balance.

Called the national headquarters and they made me an appointment with the store manager. Went in. Store manager didn't show. Assistant manager took it in and 5 minutes later came back out and said all of my rims are bent. I said now you tell me? Also, the tires haven't lost air, they just feel out of balance. She says all of the tires are balanced because they still have their chalk mark by the stem. I said a chalk mark just means someone put chalk on it. Please take the right rear tire off and check it for balance again. They did. It was out of balance.

Got in the car and is still felt rough riding at highway speeds.

Took it to the same chain, but a different store on the other side of town. Told that store manager the story. He put it up on a lift and let me watch as they checked things out. They did find that all of my rims were leaking. They took them off the car, put them on the balancer, and all 4 were heavily out of balance. Then they took them off the rims and the rims were, as he said, the most heavily corroded dirty looking as any he'd ever seen. There's no way they ever cleaned them up. So he had his guys clean them up, put bead sealer in them, balance them and off I went. Car road smooth as silk on the highway at all speeds. THANK YOU! Been good for two months now. We'll see.

Now all of those visits were no charge. But the hassle of having to go back so many times was just plain bad. I lodged a complaint about the original location.

So it kinda goes to show that there are differences between locations of the same company. Kinda like we all know a McDonalds location that just has a lot better service than the other McDonalds. I think it's all a reflection of the store manager as to how the store is run.
I never worked for a big tire store but I did work at Art and Bills Enco in the 60s. Changed tires, pumped gas and did oil changes.

Like everyone else, we used pneumatic guns to put the lugs on. Those guns are supposed to be checked and adjusted every so often. I've never seen it done and after asking a bunch of guys, nobody ever does it as far as i can tell.

I took my hobby car to a local tire shop for new tires. A few months later, i had to take the tire off for something? No way jose. I tried a breaker bar with a pipe extension and just before breaking the stud, I took it back to the shop.

The owner was a certified dick. He shrugged off the problem and called bubba to loosen the lugs and walked away. Bubba couldn't get them off with his air gun. They tried another gun, then another bubba....no way. The owner went next door to the front end shop and borrowed a bigger air gun which did the trick.

The guy was still a dick....and I told him so.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #46  
I've bought my share of tires in the past. Sam's Club rules. CostCo ain't bad, either.

Just went into Sam's as member, the tires I had came with my truck from the factory. Got all 4 balanced and rotated for $4 apiece. Left the guy a $10 tip. They're hard to beat.

On a truck, I'll get Toyo next time..... Probably. On a regular vehicle, I'll get Bridgestone. I might even get them next year on my 2017 Ram CTD. Had to get new tires on my Wife's Edge a couple years ago. The Firestone place was having a big sale and since it was right around the corner, I got some Bridgestones put on her car. Replaced some high-end Michelins from the factory.

OMG, (hate that expression but it fits here) what a difference! The Car felt like it was glued to the road. Road softer, better, cornered and handled better, quieter, felt much safer in the rain.

I would highly receommend them. No clue what series they are or anything. 6 Months later she got rear-ended while sitting stopped at a light. The kid had to be doing 60 MPH, No BS, had to be. Totalled her Edge. Almost totalled her. Glad it didn't. Cute ones are hard to find these days. :)

She's got Pirellis on her new Edge. They're not bad but they're not nearly as good as the Bridgestones, IMO
I've got Michelins on my F150. Came with the truck. I hate them as I knew I would.
I have bought several vehicles with Michellins on them and when worn, I replaced them with various brands.
Oh what a difference! I'm too tight to replace them before their time but I can't wait much longer.
It is all I can do to keep the truck on the road. They just won't track.
Every brand I have tried tracked better than Michellin.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #47  
I've got Michelins on my F150. Came with the truck. I hate them as I knew I would.
I have bought several vehicles with Michellins on them and when worn, I replaced them with various brands.
Oh what a difference! I'm too tight to replace them before their time but I can't wait much longer.
It is all I can do to keep the truck on the road. They just won't track.
Every brand I have tried tracked better than Michellin.
???
Maybe there's something wrong with your truck (or your driving skills). I've never had any problems with Michelins.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #48  
Tire warranties and credit scores.

Tires - Seems like they can go at any time and no matter what the written warranty, there is a cop out in fine print. You think the more you pay, the better they (tires) would be, but I've found first hand that is not the case.

Credit scores - Mine dropped by 2 points, but still on the very high side IMO, and I don't have a clue how I got that high to begin with, nor do I know why I dropped a couple of points as I really haven't changed anything.
When I paid off my farm and other large assets, i finally achieved my goal and I had no debt at all (yay!) then over the next two years my credit score dropped 200 points (boo!). I paid cash for everything, and would save for large purchases before I bought them, this continued to hurt my credit score. 75 years ago, this type of business management would have given me the lowest credit risk in town, but the govt changed its calculation to support and reward people swimming in revolving debt. It took me a few years to repair the score, by taking out a truck loan & a few credit cards that I use and pay back each month so I don’t have to pay the egregious interest rates the banks charge. The system has been changed to break the saver/builder of wealth. Even those who buy gold & silver have to deal with bank suppression/manipulation.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #49  
When I paid off my farm and other large assets, i finally achieved my goal and I had no debt at all (yay!) then over the next two years my credit score dropped 200 points (boo!). I paid cash for everything, and would save for large purchases before I bought them, this continued to hurt my credit score. 75 years ago, this type of business management would have given me the lowest credit risk in town, but the govt changed its calculation to support and reward people swimming in revolving debt. It took me a few years to repair the score, by taking out a truck loan & a few credit cards that I use and pay back each month so I don’t have to pay the egregious interest rates the banks charge. The system has been changed to break the saver/builder of wealth. Even those who buy gold & silver have to deal with bank suppression/manipulation.
The system always works... until it doesn't.