TYM, using brakes to turn stalls engine

/ TYM, using brakes to turn stalls engine #1  

Smallplot

Gold Member
Tractor
1974 IH 1066, 1969 IH 756/FEL, and 2011 TYM T603 Cab/FEL
Have a T603 and was putting it through a workout the other day. Noticed when using the brakes to assist with turning, the engine would throttle itself down while the brake was applied, either right or left. After the brakes were released the engine would come back up to operating throttle. This is a gear tractor and the hand throttle was set and operating in 2WD at the time. Of all the tractors I have ever used this has never happened but this is the smallest tractor I have ever operated. Any ideas, suggestions?

/ TYM, using brakes to turn stalls engine #2  
At first I was going to say that you might of been in 4x4, but since it is in 2x4, do you have the rear dif locked up? I know that they are suppose to pop out from being locked up if your foot is not on the lock-up pedal, but I have found that they do not always pop out of lock-up mode on their own. :(

Something to check. ;)

/ TYM, using brakes to turn stalls engine
Thanks, but no the Dif was not locked in either. Front end was just sliding a little during turns so decided to use the brakes to not tear up the alfalfa as bad.

/ TYM, using brakes to turn stalls engine #4  
Most of the smaller tractors Ive had have acted that way , I believe they have less torque rise compared to the high hp tractors we had on the farm.

Just my .02 of course.

C-ya

/ TYM, using brakes to turn stalls engine
Thanks for the replies.

Blade Hauler, You may just be right. It happened when I just gently applied or mashed either side.

Well, guess I will have to try breaking this habit as well. Now there are two things I don't care for with this tractor. Both seem to be from the size.... Other than that it is a little work horse.

/ TYM, using brakes to turn stalls engine #6  
I know nothing of your tractor but there are many tractors that engage 4wd automatically when the brake is pressed even when in 2wd to serve as 4 wheel braking ..!