types of transmissions

/ types of transmissions #61  
Devices alone do not safe situations make....

An idiot with a near idiot proof device can kill himself.... a very safe person with a dangerous implement is where my money is at.. if I had to choose between the 2...

soundguy

I'd wager most of us on here fit somewhere in between the two. Few of us are full time equipment operators with the thousands of hours of experience that get one out of unusual sticky situations. It seems also that few of us are certifiable wreckless idiots.

I guess it's like a statistic I heard once... "75% of drivers consider themselves to be better than average." You know at least a third of them are wrong. The same probably goes for equipment operators.

/ types of transmissions #62  
I'd wager most of us on here fit somewhere in between the two. Few of us are full time equipment operators with the thousands of hours of experience that get one out of unusual sticky situations. It seems also that few of us are certifiable wreckless idiots.

I guess it's like a statistic I heard once... "75% of drivers consider themselves to be better than average." You know at least a third of them are wrong. The same probably goes for equipment operators.

I agree.

Luckilly, those 'bad life threatoning' incidents are also spaced out statistically low.. IE.. you may only be paying attention 60% of the time.. but you only have a 1 in xxxxxxx chance of hitting the bad spot.. etc..

in any case.. safety first!

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #63  
I come away from this discussion with the conclusion that NONE of the transmission designs currently available are necessarily "inherently" superior to another. Structurally, they will all perform, with outstanding reliability; given proper operation and maintainance.

There are operational attributes; however, that make one design inherently superior to other transmission types when comparisons are based upon the type of work being performed.

Gear transmissions; either collar or snychromesh excel with heavy ground engagement chores; plowing, discing, cultivating and in situations where operations are conducted in large acreages with long distances when mowing, baling, etc.

Hydraulic reverser or shuttle shift transmissions also excel under work conditions that conventional gear transmissions tend to shine. However, these transmissions have the added advantage of clutchless forward and reverse movement. This use option is very beneficial when front loader operations are a routine function.

HST or hydrostatic transmissions excel in work environments where operations involve close quarters and/or precision movement of the machine and implements. It is also the easiest transmission for inexperienced operators to operate. Most industrial-use heavy equipment utilizes this type of transmission.

Therefore, the decision to buy a tractor with a specific transmission type should not be based upon the criteria of a "more reliable and superior transmission design" but rather more upon how the machine will be utilized and the personal, individual "tastes" of the purchaser.

I sincerely hope this was a helpful distillation of the previous comments.

AKfish

HST is by far better for use with inexperienced workers, but not a panacea. Guy I know had a gear drive, worked for 15 years with experienced people but then started hiring ... others ... and the clutch kept going. Changed to HST, did not read the manual, and discovered (JD 4400) that you better tell these people not to shift the range control when moving (they mostly did this on hills) unless you want to pay JD for expensive repairs.

You can be just as accurate moving around with a gear or shuttle as an HST -- but what you can't do is gently push on something and gradually increase the push using the HST slushbox effect.

In tight closed terrain the HST will get you there (wherever there is) almost always faster than gear or shuttle since there isn't a need to keep changing speeds, or to stay in a slow speed for the entire time with the gears.

If I had the cash I'd go to an 85-110hp HST.... but power shuttle is 95% as good for what I do.