TZ22DA no fuel to injectors

/ TZ22DA no fuel to injectors #1  

m33chm

Tractor
New Holland TZ22DA
I have a New Holland TZ22da with just shy of 300 hours on it. This past winter it took longer to start than usual, then a few weeks ago it started stuttering and dying in the middle of mowing, moving hay, etc.

I have replaced both fuel filters, including the whole water separator apparatus, and determined fuel was getting to the injector pump and stopping there. Replaced the injector pump today with a “new” one, still no fuel coming out of it. What now?

I am new to DIY tractor repairs. I have a mechanic scheduled to come Monday but would really love to try and fix it myself. Any help is greatly appreciated. I paid this same mechanic to look at it last week, and he confirmed what I thought about it needing a new injector pump. But he spent a whole 20 minutes fiddling with hoses and stuff so, if it ends up being the solenoid or something, I’m going to be pretty annoyed since I paid for an hour of diagnostics and he didn’t do anything I hadn’t already done.

/ TZ22DA no fuel to injectors #2  
At 300 hrs, you should not need an injector pump. Your diesel (or any diesel for that matter) needs fuel at the right time, airflow and compression ratio to produce power. This assumes the mechanical condition of the engine is good and at 300 hrs, it should be.

You may have fuel to the injector but is is adequate? Start at the tank to fuel filter line. Remove the line from the filter and you should see a gush of fuel. If it doesn't gush out, there maybe a strainer in the tank bottom that is full of crud generated by bacteria that live in the fuel water interface. The water comes from contaminated fuel, or condensation from a partially filled fuel tank. That can reduce the fuel delivery and limit power or even the ability to start. You said you replaced the filter and the water separator but crud from contaminated fuel can clog the passages in the filter head. So replace the tank to fuel line and check for a gush of fuel at the filter outlet. If that's checks OK then move to the lift pump , if you have one. They often have a screen in them so check that for blockage. If they check out ok. Then the next question is did you bleed the fuel system through to the injectors before you tried to start it? The bleeding instructions should be in the owners manual.

If it still does not start after bleeding, check the air filter. It takes fuel and air to make power. How does it crank? It needs to crank fast to start if it has adequate fuel and air. follow these steps and you should be able to fix the problem.