U.K. vs. U.S. Kubota M40 tractors

/ U.K. vs. U.S. Kubota M40 tractors #1  

piller

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD ROPS
I just did a search and found the Kubota website for the U.K.
Kubota (U.K.) Limited - M40 Series

I was interested in the differences between the M40 tractors offered in the UK and those offered in the U.S.
1) UK tractors have Tier IIIA engines, US tractors have Tier II
2) M6040 and M7040 engines are turbocharged in the UK
3) Limited Slip differential appears standard on all M40 machines in UK
4) Transmissions: UK M40 machines have three ranges, with either 5 or 6 speeds in the main range. US M40 machines have two ranges with 4 main speeds, 6 main speeds optional for 8540/9540.
5) UK machines have 4 wheel brake system that automatically shifts into 4wd when braking
6) PTO speed shows 540/540E for UK with 540/1000 optional. I don't think one can get the 540E PTO in the US.

So, the machines are similar yet there are a lot of interesting differences. Would anyone, kubota dealers perhaps, know if some of the UK features will be coming to US M40 tractors? Any idea when the US M40 tractors might get upgraded?

/ U.K. vs. U.S. Kubota M40 tractors #2  
The next upgrade will be with the next model change but do not hold your breath for the new model tractors to be the same as in the UK! They have a lot of different restrictions across the water!

/ U.K. vs. U.S. Kubota M40 tractors
Well, I would not expect the US models to be exactly the same as the UK models, but I was surprised to see some of the features on the UK models.
Do you have any idea when the next model change might take place?

/ U.K. vs. U.S. Kubota M40 tractors #4  
different markets have different needs, so there are some differences. Europe gets some cool stuff that we don't, and you would not even reconize alot of whats sold in Japan.

The M's are caught up to emmissions standards and are fairly new models, they are also selling really well. I don't see them making changes anytime soon.

How/When do US Kubota dealers normally find out about upcoming changes in the product line?

I emailed Kubota with my question and received the following response:
"The M series tractor are currently being upgraded. The new models have a tier III interm Tier IV EPA emissions engines. Your local dealer has more information on the specific tractor that you are considering".

I do plan to check with my local dealer, but in the mean time thought I'd ask here. Thanks.

/ U.K. vs. U.S. Kubota M40 tractors #6  
We've not seen anything in Tier3/4 updates yet. Running production updates like that are usually released to us on the fly. Major changes come at a yearly dealer meeting in October. The model numbers probably won't change when this happens. If your considering a machine, don't wait. A tier 3/4 update, and the weaking dollar will defentily cause these new models to be substantialy more expensive.

With the current prices for diesel fuel have you noticed an increase in customer concern regarding fuel efficiency, or the ability to run bio-diesel? Can the Tier II engines run bio-diesel?

/ U.K. vs. U.S. Kubota M40 tractors #8  
No, people don't ever really ask about it. We've been touting fuel economey of the little Kubota diesels for years, but it does not seem to be an issue.

You can run B5 is almost anything, B10 in most anything, and B20 in many machines. Just don't do it in anything with electronic fuel injection, thats where the problems seem to turn up.