UGH lost starter today

/ UGH lost starter today #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
I just learned how "easy" it is to R&R a starter in a backhoe in the woods with the FEL arms in the down position. I was surprised my Kubota M7040 couldn't lift the LB115's bucket up enough to get the loader arms up & out of the way. Just didn't have enough lift force to get the loader up more than 4' off the ground. Oh, and it died with the tires turned straight. Couldn't even turn the wheels for more room. :(
I decided to take both the lift cylinder (felt like ~120 lbs) and the support arm off on the starter side. That gave me about a 2&1/2' x 1&1/2' opening to work through. Then I had to remove the dipstick tube, the fuel filter base, draft tube and some wires to get the starter out. Took me 3.5 hours to move everything and 15 minutes to get the starter out then another 1 hour to put everything back together.
Frickin Iveco diesels.... impossible to service in the woods. My Case was much easier to service in the engine compartment.

/ UGH lost starter today #2  
No pics? Sounds worthy of a few pics to show the work you had to go through. Is it fixed now?

/ UGH lost starter today
I had so much grease & bloody knuckles that I think the last thing on my mind was pictures. Oh, forgot to mention it rained off/on through the whole process. :laughing:
The machine was fixed. Starter re-engaged itself somehow while I was digging out some tree stumps and ground the starter gear teeth off . Luckily no flywheel damage.

/ UGH lost starter today #4  
I had so much grease & bloody knuckles that I think the last thing on my mind was pictures. Oh, forgot to mention it rained off/on through the whole process. :laughing:
The machine was fixed. Starter re-engaged itself somehow while I was digging out some tree stumps and ground the starter gear teeth off . Luckily no flywheel damage.
Doesn't it almost always go that way? One of those bittersweet things. How much am I losing while broke.......how much to fix......how much would it have cost to call somebody else.......Are my usual thoughts when this happens. Dropping stuff in the dirt, getting hyd. fluid, grease and fuel soaked, busting knuckles, scrapes and bruises bring up thoughts we aren't supposed to share here :p:

/ UGH lost starter today
Doesn't it almost always go that way? One of those bittersweet things. How much am I losing while broke.......how much to fix......how much would it have cost to call somebody else.......Are my usual thoughts when this happens. Dropping stuff in the dirt, getting hyd. fluid, grease and fuel soaked, busting knuckles, scrapes and bruises bring up thoughts we aren't supposed to share here :p:

Prolly the worst part of the whole process was trying to get my snap ring pliers to work on one particularly subborn snap ring.

Much to the shagrin of the thin skinned members here, I like to keep it real. :thumbsup: Sometimes things go your way out in the field, sometimes they don't. Seems more realistic to share the downs as well as the ups. Equipment failure is just part of making a living with machinery everyday like I do. It's the ones that won't ever admit their equipment has ever broken down I will never take seriously.

/ UGH lost starter today #6  
Much to the shagrin of the thin skinned members here, I like to keep it real. :thumbsup:

Like so many other things, :2cents:, reality and truth are not what some people want. They only want to hear/read what agrees with their agenda.
Besides, you didn't call your dealer and have it hauled back to their shop to find out how difficult this would have been, then tell everybody how tough it was. Did you at least buy the starter from New Holland or did you cheat the system and just go to a lowly repair shop? :(

/ UGH lost starter today #7  
I feel for you builder. I just got through rebuilding the starter in my Deere 2240 with the loader arms on. Not quite as bad as yours though. My starter was nice enough to smoke in the shop where it's dry, I have tools, and there is lots of light. Errrr.... at least there's lots of light outside the engine compartment.

Although almost impossible to reach and remove the bolts I got it loose in about 30 minutes only to scratch my head for an hour before it dawned on me that I had to remove the dipstick tube and other items to actually remove it.:laughing:

The shop confirmed that mine died from the oil bath it got a few months ago when I blew a hydro line and dowsed the engine with 7 gallons of oil.

/ UGH lost starter today #8  
Builder, the professional mechanics are laughing at you. Just sayin'...

/ UGH lost starter today
Like so many other things, :2cents:, reality and truth are not what some people want. They only want to hear/read what agrees with their agenda.
Besides, you didn't call your dealer and have it hauled back to their shop to find out how difficult this would have been, then tell everybody how tough it was. Did you at least buy the starter from New Holland or did you cheat the system and just go to a lowly repair shop? :(

I got a reman for about 1/3rd the price of a newbie. Reman was $200.

/ UGH lost starter today
I feel for you builder. I just got through rebuilding the starter in my Deere 2240 with the loader arms on. Not quite as bad as yours though. My starter was nice enough to smoke in the shop where it's dry, I have tools, and there is lots of light. Errrr.... at least there's lots of light outside the engine compartment.

Although almost impossible to reach and remove the bolts I got it loose in about 30 minutes only to scratch my head for an hour before it dawned on me that I had to remove the dipstick tube and other items to actually remove it.:laughing:

The shop confirmed that mine died from the oil bath it got a few months ago when I blew a hydro line and dowsed the engine with 7 gallons of oil.

yep, my dipstick tube & downdraft tube were both in the way.