ULSD and Powerservice pass first test

/ ULSD and Powerservice pass first test #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
After all the debates on here this year regarding LSD vs ULSD vs BioDiesel and the gelling issues etc, I am a bit concerned. I use my tractor to clear my drive and depend on it to start by 6:00 a.m. which is typically the coldest part of the day. A few days ago, the morning after our first snow, it was 2 degrees F beow zero when I walked out to start the tractor. I had little fuel left in the tank so I carried out 10 gallons or fresh ULSD that I treated with a double dose of Power Service white. 4 seconds of glow plugs and th tractor started right up like it was summer. Well, maybe a cool summer day. The new fuel added to the tank was cheating some since it came from the warmer garage. But the fuel that was in the tank and filter was fine. Not the best test but at least it passed the first test of the season.
I plan to stick with the ULSD for winter use, and use Bio 2 or 5 the rest of the year for it's lube qualities. CIH reccomemends NOT using bio in the winter according to my operators manual.

/ ULSD and Powerservice pass first test #2  
I'm told that the ULSD is being treated better this year and the wide spread gel issues of last winter should not repeat. We'll see. I'm still adding anti gel to mine!

jb

/ ULSD and Powerservice pass first test #3  
Ford, always top off your fuel tank at the end of each use. It will help cut down on condensation forming in your fuel tank which can contribute to future fuel problems.

Sincerely,Dirt

/ ULSD and Powerservice pass first test #4  
Well the funny part is ford850's tractor probably didn't start off his newly added fuel anyway...it started off what was already in the lines, the filter, the fuel pump and the injector pump ;)

/ ULSD and Powerservice pass first test
Skyco,
You're right it did start with the 'old' fuel in the lines, but that was also ULSD with a double shot of Power Service. I had filled with that fuel a few weeks ago so I'm not sure if it was winter treated or not. Sorry, I should have told the whole story in the first post.

/ ULSD and Powerservice pass first test #6  
I still have left over #2 ULSD with a double shot of Power Service White Bottle in the tank. I was able to start and run the tractor this week with temperatures in the low teens as well as today with temperatures in the high teens. Of course I used my engine block heater prior to starting. I purchased 5 gallons of # 1 ULSD this morning at $3.65 per gallon :eek:. I asked the owner why the price increase from # 2. She reported that her # 1 had around 25% kerosene as well as the winter additive "mix" from the distributor. She still recommended a double shot of PS which I had already added to the fuel can. Jay