Ultra-cheap metal structure?

/ Ultra-cheap metal structure? #1  

zmoz

Silver Member
Tractor
-
I am looking into building a *VERY* cheap metal shelter approximately 12-14' by 25'. It also needs to not be completely ugly.

I was thinking about getting a greenhouse hoop bender like this:
The Original Greenhouse Quick Hoop Bender "DIY" #DY-12 - eBay (item 150536230902 end time Mar-19-11 09:06:36 PDT)
Which uses standard galvanized chain link fence rails.

What I wonder is, could I make a bunch of hoops like that as if building a greenhouse, and then cover with coruggated tin roofing instead of plastic? Would it conform well to the curved shape, and would there be any structural issues?

I would prefer to bend the coruggated sheets 90 degrees across the corruggation for strength, but that would take a special bender. If I just use it lengthwise I would think it would be easy to bend around the curve.

Does anybody know where I could buy or possibly how I could make a bender that would bend the coruggated sheets 90 degrees to the coruggation? (like a culvert) Seems like this might be a much more structurally sound alternative....

/ Ultra-cheap metal structure? #2  
standardcarport.jpg

Carports Standard Style Roof - From Carports & More

/ Ultra-cheap metal structure? #3  
ZMOZ-

I have built a lot of pole-frame steel barns, and I like your idea regarding the use of the tubing bender and making your own hoops and covering them with corrugated....

I have helped build a carport that looks a lot like the one in tommu56's photo using Schedule 40 pipe bent on my HF manual hydraulic bender and attached the sheets with self-tapping self-sealing screws.

It went up quickly and kept the cost as low as possible due to the low number of parts.

The hoops were bolted to a prepared foundation consisting of a pair of 2" x 1/4" metal straps extending 6" our of a 36" x 8" post-hole filled with concrete.

Once the hoops were up the sheeting went on very quickly.

There was plenty of strength in the sheets from the corrugations (standard "M" style galvanized tin) especially where they wrapped around the bends in the tubes, which formed a standard peaked roof. They spanned 8 foot bents.

I would not recommend you put a severe bend ACROSS the corrugations in your sheets....all of the engineered sheet steel structures employ a gradual bend thru a fairly wide arc...a severe bend which overly crimps the panel will not provide much structural strength.

If you don't have access to a bender, why not consider a pole frame made of treated poles and lumber?

There are a lot of good free plans for such items at the various State and University Agricultural Extension websites....

Good luck on your project....let us know how you do and REMEMBER....you gotta post photos!

Terry

/ Ultra-cheap metal structure? #4  
Google "Quonset hut". Lots info/ideas/kits.

/ Ultra-cheap metal structure?
ZMOZ-
I would not recommend you put a severe bend ACROSS the corrugations in your sheets....all of the engineered sheet steel structures employ a gradual bend thru a fairly wide arc...a severe bend which overly crimps the panel will not provide much structural strength.

If you don't have access to a bender, why not consider a pole frame made of treated poles and lumber?

I was thinking more along the lines of something that looks like a 14' diameter steel culvert cut in half. I know some places sell kits for buildings that look similar to this but I was wondering if maybe I could bend it myself.

I want the whole thing to be semi-temporary, it will be put up over an asphalt parking area.

I kind of like this design better:
16 x 48 ft High Sidewall Greenhouse Frame Package Kit - eBay (item 380137209990 end time Mar-29-11 08:44:18 PDT)
with straight side walls that could be made from the "siding" type of metal sheets with vertical lines, which match the rest of the building, and then the rounded top covered with coruggated material.

I notice in this example the rounded top support seems to have some heavy internal supports sort of like trusses. Is that really necessary? I was thinking simple galvanized fence pipe hoops with 2x4 purlins under the metal skin.

/ Ultra-cheap metal structure? #6  
If you really want ultra-cheap the carport design has the minimum amount of framework. By running the panels lengthways the ribs function as purlins spanning up to 5'.
Metal Roofing Carports | Lyon Metal Roofing & Supply
If you want a little nicer look there is this style:
Carport - A-Frame Style
If you want the corrugations running the other way you need to add purlins and it will work fine but you are getting away from the minimalist design.

Quonset-hut style buildings are heavier steel with huge corrugations. When you scale up a culvert you have to scale up the corrugations too. Not ultra-cheap.

This place has the best metal prices around here. $1.60 per linear foot for 3' wide 5-rib panels cut to any length you want. They also sell the screws, trim, etc. at a good price. If you are in range of a similar mfg, you are sitting pretty good.

Metal Roofing & Siding Panels | Lyon Metal Roofing & Supply

If you really want ultra-cheap the carport design has the minimum amount of framework. By running the panels lengthways the ribs function as purlins spanning up to 5'.
Metal Roofing Carports | Lyon Metal Roofing & Supply

I like that, basically what I was thinking except with square tubing. Any idea how much square galvanized tubing like that cost or where I could buy it? Seems like it could be bent to my exact dimensions relatively easily with a cheap harbor freight bender. Or would round chain link fence rails be just as good? They're only about $1/foot....

/ Ultra-cheap metal structure? #8  
Lyon seems to sell it. I haven't checked their prices. For DIY it might be just as easy to bevel and weld an a-frame vs. bending. I think it would be a challenge to get a good result bending the square tubing without fabricating special dies.

For advice on using chain link rails call the ebay bender vendor. I'm sure they have heard your question before. Since the rail diameter is only 1-3/8", hoop spacing will have to be much closer than the 4-5' used in carports. For straight sidewalls additional truss bracing would be required to prevent the tops of the walls from spreading.

In most places you can get an 18x20 carport installed for about $700 and you can't get a kit any cheaper. Extra height is about $50/ft. A-frame adds $100. If you deviate from the value leader size the price goes up disproportionally. You can add panels yourself to close it in.

/ Ultra-cheap metal structure? #9  
Just asking as I don't see where you are located. Do you have snow loads or are you a lucky one living in the Southern climes? I have looked at something similar for my tractor and implements however I have concerns our snow loads may cause problems.

It would be nice to see pics of whatever you choose to do though as I like 'cheap' and 'not too ugly'. :laughing:

Just asking as I don't see where you are located. Do you have snow loads or are you a lucky one living in the Southern climes?

Not much snow load, we got about 1/2" at the most this year, which is typical.

I think I'm going to try the HF pipe bender with 1 3/8" galvanized fence rails bent into more of a standard peak shape than round, like some of the examples above. Guess I can just add extra bracing where necessary. I'm debating leaving the sheets off one side, since it will be up against a building anyway...

Square tubing would be nice but the 2" they use for those carports looks kind of expensive and fence rails are much easier to source and only $0.89/ft...

Do you think it would be possible to put a 90 degree bend in a pipe like this with a Harbor Freight bender without kinking it?
YARDGARD 10-1/2 ft. 17-Gauge Steel Top Rail for Chain-Link Fence - 328913DPT at The Home Depot
12 Ton Hydraulic Pipe Bender
The bender doesn't have a 1 3/8" die...would the 1 1/2" work?

Terry, you said you built one out of schedule 40 pipe...what diameter did you use?