Unable to adjust 3 pt top link

/ Unable to adjust 3 pt top link #11  
Milkman

As you say, BX has Cat 1 hitches, but at least on mine, I have difficulty in getting my lower arms to spread to 26 or 27 inches. Mine work best with a 20 or 21 inch spread. The spacing is a little narrow, given the compact nature of the BX.

But that doesn't seem to be the real issue here, since the OP got it mounted. We just have to wait for much more clarification from the Original Poster. Something is not working, and while I highly suspect the upper link, but without details and pix, this is all it is, a guess.

/ Unable to adjust 3 pt top link #12  
Darn it! milkman beat me to it. He is right about the top link. If you have a bronze colored body of top link instead of gray, chances are you may not have a BX model top link. They do have top link short enough in bronze but normally its gray if it came with the BX. I am curious on how you can have an half inch off the ground? perhaps you can post a picture of what you mean ? Moving the lower link pins from outwards to inwards will make it whole lot easier to hook up due to the turnbuckles only can go out so far.

I am thinking that if you already lifted the blower as high as it will go and you have half inch clearance, then perhaps you make need new lower links mounting points on the blower. The top link is ONLY for "squaring off" (leveling) the implement or getting a new attack angle of said implement.

/ Unable to adjust 3 pt top link #13  
If you have a bronze colored body of top link instead of gray, chances are you may not have a BX model top link. They do have top link short enough in bronze but normally its gray if it came with the BX. I am curious on how you can have an half inch off the ground? perhaps you can post a picture of what you mean ? Moving the lower link pins from outwards to inwards will make it whole lot easier to hook up due to the turnbuckles only can go out so far.

So true. Absolutely. OP bought used, so got what he got. A good salesman will point this issue out to prospective new BX purchasers. At least John @ Ginop Sales did to me. My earlier use of the phrase "BX top links are problematic" was not as clear as your explanation. Very good. Get both kinds, short one and longer one as it isn't expensive and saves alot of headaches.

Last edited:
   / Unable to adjust 3 pt top link #14  
BP, I replaced the turnbuckle stabilizers with telescoping ones and I can go to over 30" spread, if you loosen the nut circled in green and adjust the turnbuckles all the way out, you still can only get 27"? I didn't measure mine before I changed, but didn't have trouble with Cat1 pins turned out.

Edit: just noticed you have the 1860, the lift arms might not be the same as the BX 22XX series.

Attachments

• DSCF1460-1.JPG
    DSCF1460-1.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 131
   / Unable to adjust 3 pt top link #15  
BP, I replaced the turnbuckle stabilizers with telescoping ones and I can go to over 30" spread, if you loosen the nut circled in green and adjust the turnbuckles all the way out, you still can only get 27"? I didn't measure mine before I changed, but didn't have trouble with Cat1 pins turned out.

Edit: just noticed you have the 1860, the lift arms might not be the same as the BX 22XX series.

Milkman, thanks so much. Yeah, oh sure, I realized I could lengthen the yaw of the lower arms by loosening turnbuckles where you circled. My concern was that I was not absolutely sure how many threads one should keep past the lock. My training says 7 full threads for safety. I shall EXpand my horizons. :D Let me see how far out this will go, and with me still being comfortable with it.

Don't believe there is any difference whatsoever in BX models regarding lift arms.

Last edited:
   / Unable to adjust 3 pt top link #16  
Hey Milkman

I would like more information on telescopic arms. I think I would prefer something like that to consider. Got pix? or a link?

I've only had this Bota for 7 weeks, so I am learning still. Took off the turn buckles completely. Yup, it opens wide enough indeed for 27" Let me ask you this. At what point would you suggest the safety prevent further widening? 28"? No more? Not that much?
Gotta say, Don't care a whole lot of this turn buckle arrangement though. PITA to constantly adjust for various implements.

Last edited:
   / Unable to adjust 3 pt top link
Here is a couple of pictures of the hitch and blower. I ended up leaving the pins facing outward (as per instruction manual) even though it is a bit difficult getting the lower arms on/off (probably due to the BX being so narrow as someone mentioned earlier). I shortened the top link all the way down. In this configuration, the foot is still about a half inch off the ground when the implement is lowered all the way.

In any case, I decided to shorten the driveshaft for this configuration - By hooking the snowblower up this way, it may not have been the smartest thing to do as turning the pins to the inside would have given me an extra inch or two and the shaft could be longer than in the current positon (where I only have 7.5 of the suggested 7.75 inch overlap). If I later decide to flip the mounting pins inward, it will mean buying a new pto shaft as it will need to be longer!

My biggest concern was simply not wanting to put too much strain on the top link - but with most of the weight off of it (blower rests on skid shoes) and the angle being just a few degrees off vertical, I am hoping all will be okay.

Still have to tighten everything down and make adjustments to bottom links and drive chain - then off to changing all the fluids! Wow is the Super UDT expensive!!!!!!! I will re-post here is anything "strange" happens over the winter season. Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

• Blower.jpg
    Blower.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 167
  • hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 184
   / Unable to adjust 3 pt top link #18  
OK, first off, that is indeed the stock 'Bota top link.

Thanks for providing photos.

Next, I just got schooled by Milkman on the turnbuckles being too short. I appreciate the lesson. Yours look just like mine did until a 1/2 hour ago, perhaps even tighter. You can lengthen those considerably making it much easier to get 26/27 inch wide stuff on there without having to reverse the pins.

Gotta tell you, if yours are like mine were, they were a giant pain to get loose. I ended up having to remove them from the tractor, no big deal, by pulling the four cotters and pins. I could not get the locking nut loose until I had the turnbuckle on my workbench where I could get at it.

Last edited:
   / Unable to adjust 3 pt top link
Fortunately, everything was pretty loose. Had to oil up the pivot points as the guy I bought the BX from never used the 3 point and it was a bit stiff from non use. Aafter a couple of times up and down it was fine. Turnbuckles turn easy. Lucky I guess.

/ Unable to adjust 3 pt top link #20  
Socratic

By opening up your turnbuckles, and widening those arms, did it make any difference in the way the snow blower sits? Just curious.