Unsecured hay hauling

/ Unsecured hay hauling #91  
Cute little dig on farmers, but I’ve seen more unsecured zero turns and improperly secured construction equipment on trucks & trailers in my area than unsecured hay bales.
Way more.
Buddy of mine is an MVCE cop and they fill the coffers with citations written to working stiffs pulling zero turns behind an F-150 a lot more than farm truck violations.
Good post ..There is always a AZZ hat in the crowd that get off on little digs..

/ Unsecured hay hauling #92  
I know some farmers shouldnt be on the hiway in anything more than a passenger car. Here they did away with truck inspections for farmers.
There are enough incidents without trying, **** happens, we try to keep it to a minimum. We lost a tool on a truck the other night. Not really sure what happened to it yet.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #93  
I travel a narrow 2 lane State highway in Arkansas 3-4 times weekly to my rural place in Ozarks. it's a busy highway w/o shoulders & blind curves.
lots of round bale hauling without any securing, they say gravity will do the job...that is until control is lost around a curve to oncoming traffic
& would make short work of me, etc. local law enforcement shrug it off like the haulers. so what are your state hwy laws on hauling unsecured tonnage on similar roads in your area. to be honest, it is annoying to see, but hey, don't like to offend the red necks (another safety hazard)
Here is your Arkansas answer for securing hay. Go to www.ahtd.state.ar.us Click on publications and scroll down to Motor Vehicle and Traffic laws & state highway commission regulations ( ACT 300) The Act 300 book is considered the "Bible" for enforcing the traffic laws in Arkansas. In the book go to page 324 and look at statute 27-35-110 and also page 322 statute 27-35-102 (b). It says nothing about hauling hay, but does state that everything must be loaded to keep any of the load from spilling on the roadway.

/ Unsecured hay hauling
Here is your Arkansas answer for securing hay. Go to www.ahtd.state.ar.us Click on publications and scroll down to Motor Vehicle and Traffic laws & state highway commission regulations ( ACT 300) The Act 300 book is considered the "Bible" for enforcing the traffic laws in Arkansas. In the book go to page 324 and look at statute 27-35-110 and also page 322 statute 27-35-102 (b). It says nothing about hauling hay, but does state that everything must be loaded to keep any of the load from spilling on the roadway.
thank you, you're more informed than i am on this, & appreciate your way to approach the issue. would be interesting to hear from law enforcement on this overall, thx again

/ Unsecured hay hauling #95  
thank you, you're more informed than i am on this, & appreciate your way to approach the issue. would be interesting to hear from law enforcement on this overall, thx again
Been living close to or at this location since 1949 and at that time maybe 20 cars a day was a busy day.
today after Big Bubba mentioning hay moving without tie straps.every trailer attached to pick up to 18 wheelers loaded without straps. saw 2 long trailers pulled by chevy truck had the last 2 bales tie strap. to keep the load from rolling off. There were about 20 trucks and an hour.
The road was widened a few years ago and now is a major shortcut to bypass the Clinton to Damascus speed traps well known to travelers through this area.
This county road speed limit was 45 and the new county Judge raises it to 55 mph and the state highway lowered it to 45 mph. so log trucks and everyone trying to complete their work schedule come this way .
But Big Bubba is correct no one uses straps.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #96  
I travel a narrow 2 lane State highway in Arkansas 3-4 times weekly to my rural place in Ozarks. it's a busy highway w/o shoulders & blind curves.
lots of round bale hauling without any securing, they say gravity will do the job...that is until control is lost around a curve to oncoming traffic
& would make short work of me, etc. local law enforcement shrug it off like the haulers. so what are your state hwy laws on hauling unsecured tonnage on similar roads in your area. to be honest, it is annoying to see, but hey, don't like to offend the red necks (another safety hazard)
In the UK all loads must be secured, a lot are not and until the worst happens it is likely that no one will be prosecuted. It is always a bind (excuse the pun) to secure a load especially for short distances but the inconvenience of a load coming off or having to live with the fact that some one has been injured ( or worse ) because you couldn't be bothered is on your conscience.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #97  
In the UK all loads must be secured, a lot are not and until the worst happens it is likely that no one will be prosecuted. It is always a bind (excuse the pun) to secure a load especially for short distances but the inconvenience of a load coming off or having to live with the fact that some one has been injured ( or worse ) because you couldn't be bothered is on your conscience.
Some people don’t care. A trucker here was going through town years ago with an overloaded log trailer when a log hit a bridge and fell off, killing a woman. Yet he still runs grossly overloaded. I won’t use him, but that doesn’t stop most people from calling him.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #98  
My cop buddy and I both agree that over the years, when there’s an accident and between a trucker and a passenger car, 9 times out of 10, the trucker gets blamed. It’s just one of those things you have to accept if you are a trucker.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #99  
My cop buddy and I both agree that over the years, when there’s an accident and between a trucker and a passenger car, 9 times out of 10, the trucker gets blamed. It’s just one of those things you have to accept if you are a trucker.
Tends to be the same with a sports car, sometimes justified.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #100  
I guess, in retrospect, it doesn't make much difference what the load is. It seems clear that if you have encountered an accident with any unsecured load, you may have a rock hardened opinion about whether or not it is safe and not important. I know if I had lost a car or wife in an accident with unsecured load (could be hay, tractor, zturn, anything), I would attest to the fact that it is important and should never happen. No one could convince me that it was rare and did not matter if the load was secure or not. On the other hand, if we have never been involved or dodged unsecured loads coming off trailers, it might not seem too important or might feel it is rare. But then, this seems to be how issues are resolved - AFTER enough accidents. I don't know - just wondering - do they scale trucks hauling hay? Best Wishes