Unusual Guest Hanging Out

/ Unusual Guest Hanging Out
There was a WHITE deer locally 2 years ago that was quite old and pretty friendly. seems a good number of people were feeding it and such, on outskirts of a medium sized town/city. Then some guy shot it and whew what a ruckus that caused lol. I wouldn't mind if they are ALL white make em easier to see in the dark running across road in front of ya. also easeir to get during hunting season :D:)

Mark

Well this GAL is really curious...and hungry.:D She was just browsing around while I was mowing so I decided to see if I could coax her over with some grain. We have been putting some deer chow in a pan for a couple weeks and she came trotting right over after I shook the can and filled the pan. I agree that making these critters people friendly can be a bad thing sometimes but since there really isn't any hunting land around here (you can hunt but nobody does, lots of no hunting/trespass signs) she might have a chance.

Attachments

• White Deer.JPG
    White Deer.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 240
   / Unusual Guest Hanging Out #12  
Surely this was somebody's pet. You can't get within 100 yards of the deer around here.

/ Unusual Guest Hanging Out #13  
Consequently shooting a white/albino in Michigan is illegal. I believe you can shoot a deer only if it is more than 50% fawn/deer colored. They are really cool to look at.

It's actually a white, not albino, deer. It has to be a black tail since that's the only species this side of the mountains but this guy appearently didn't get the memo.

Well I guess it's NOT a Blacktail according to this story.

I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks but I can only imagine if I had seen this on the property during deer season.:eek:

/ Unusual Guest Hanging Out #15  
I don't know about Washington, but here in Texas, and where I'm from in California, fallow deer are fairly common. Willits CA has them all over the place with allot of resturants and business using the white deer theme. Sometimes you can see them while driving along the highway, and allot of times, I'd pull over on the side of the road to glass them with my binoculars. When it's lush and green out, they really show up good!!!

There is also quite a few of them running wild at Point Reyes, on the coast just North of the Golden Gate Bridge. For fun, I used to go for hikes there to try and find them and take pictures of them.

Hurst brought them to his place and they are still running wild all over that area of the state.

Here in Texas, they are very common. There's no telling how many have escaped high fenced ranches, but under fence, there's tens of thousands of them. Some places raise them for venison like cattle. Near where I leve, there is a program at the Ag Extension on deer farming with fallow deer. There are two ranches that raise them in my area that I know of. Sometimes we drive by one of them to take pictures of the bucks.

I've been to the auctions and can buy yearling fallow bucks for $300 each. I've seen lots of three go for $500 for all three!!!!

I can't verify this for fact, but George Washington is credited with being the first person to bring exotic wildlife to the country. He brought and released fallow deer on Mt. Vernon. The estates in England have been breeding and raising them for centuries. They are considered to be the easiest of exotic deer to raise and naturalize to local conditions.

From the picture, it looks like a fallow deer. They can be raised as bottle babies and become very tame. Some are just used to people. I'm guessing that it was a pet and wondered off.

Eddie

Eddie,
You're right about the deer being someone's pet. But the story tells us the camel :eek: helped it escape and how the donkey chased it away.

The lady in the story has a history with animal control and lives only a mile or less from me as the crow flies. You can see she really isn't much of a game keeper buy the amount of junk in the pasture along with the animals.

May I'll see the camel or emu or who knows what show up at my place next.:eek:

/ Unusual Guest Hanging Out #17  
We have had this guy coming around for a couple weeks now and he seems to like the horses. He even followed us once when we were moving the horses to a different pasture.

Nice pic LarryD.

I couldn't help notice the awesome fence in the background. You been messin' with Sasquatch, or what? Or just retired SeaBee :)

Dave.

/ Unusual Guest Hanging Out #18  
I read the story, but for whatever reason, didn't make the connection that it was the same deer. Before shaving my head, i was a blonde, so I'm gonna call it a "blonde moment." LOL

Eddie

You been messin' with Sasquatch, or what? Or just retired SeaBee :)

Dave,
The wife decided to rescue horses many years ago. Every now and then we get a stud through and she has an Arab that will go into season at the hint of an eligible bachelor in the area.:eek:

There are four pastures like that because I told SWMBO I was only going to build the fences once, cost a little more up front but only had to put in a couple staples since.

/ Unusual Guest Hanging Out #20  
Dave,
The wife decided to rescue horses many years ago. Every now and then we get a stud through and she has an Arab that will go into season at the hint of an eligible bachelor in the area.:eek:

There are four pastures like that because I told SWMBO I was only going to build the fences once, cost a little more up front but only had to put in a couple staples since.

Sounds like a good strategy, build it once. Very nice fences.

It's a good thing folks like your wife do horse rescue. There is a horse rescue place down the road from us, unbelievably sad cases come in there. Seems to be more horses in need of rescue than rescue facilities here, especially since the Great Recession.

Dave.