Unusual instruction translations

/ Unusual instruction translations #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I have been watching the discussion on What does this lever do? - TractorByNet.com
and chuckling at the comments about translation in the manuals.

I am sure there are some interesting examples of "unusual translations" out there.

I used to have a1985 ZETOR 5245 with a couple of doozies -

1 - When giving instructions on changing gears -"please to bend left leg at knee while placing on clutch then straighten to bottom before making gear change."

2 - Instruction for the horn - "for warning other people in area please toodle horn vigorously"

I haven't found anything close to this on the DK45SE HST manuals but perhaps I have not been reading closely enough or some of the earlier mistakes have been corrected.

Just curious if anyone else has other examples of this unusual translation experience.

Bob

/ Unusual instruction translations #2  
2 - Instruction for the horn - "for warning other people in area please toodle horn vigorously"
:laughing::laughing:
I like that one.
Haven't heard it put in those words before:laughing:

/ Unusual instruction translations #3  
I've had a lot of motorcycles (68) over the years 1961 up to now and in the mid sixties, when JAP bikes were the thing to own, I had a Yamaha 250, twin, 2 stroke road bike. I remember reading the owners manual and till this day I remember this part:

"Thank you for buy the Yamaha YDS streetbike. It may be too powerful for humankind."

I love it!!!!!!!

Sam

/ Unusual instruction translations #4  
Bob, your Chinclish may be getting so good, you no longer notice them:D

/ Unusual instruction translations #5  
Porkie, I had a shop manual for my 305 Honda bike back in about 1968 and it gave me just enough decipherable information to allow me to screw up things badly enough that it cost more to get them straightened out again than it would have to have the Honda shop do it right the first time!
Need I mention that I'm not a "natural" at mechanical things?

The Japanese (and Chinese) have improved dramatically in their translations, though some very odd phraseology still shows up occasionally.
BOB

/ Unusual instruction translations #6  
I was privileged to read directions for a computer software issue originally written in german after it was translated into english. The issue was a memory leak problems in a windows server operating system. When a computer was left running for extended periods of time, applications would trap memory until there is not enough for the computer to run properly. The solution is to restart the computer periodically to free up the memory.

The translated version of this was:

"Your computer is drunk. You must kill it."

/ Unusual instruction translations
Well folks, this is not exactly an instruction, but my wife and I were looking for a vacation getaway and we were pretty sure that this description, in its original form, was written in a language other than English.

Visitors from all over the world go to the _______________ to celebrate their weddings or to renovate their marriage votes, surrounded of romanticism and of a Nature that captures who arrives looking for an eddy of peace to this paradisiacal place.

(maybe it is actually from an instruction manual)