Update To Fun With Solidworks

/ Update To Fun With Solidworks #1  

gizmo

Silver Member
Tractor
2002 JD990
I got started on this last weekend and finished the metal work yesterday. It will be a couple weeks before I can start getting some paint applied. I took it out for a spin and it is definitely stronger than my tractor. I piled on sections of tree trunk until the loader stalled and then proceded to bounce the load a bit. The back end lifted, but there were no signs of stress on the lift. John Deere wants $1100 for one of these and I've got all of $300 in it. Solidworks predicted the weight at about 400lb which is about the same as the JD model.

Fork_Lift_1.jpg

Fork_Lift_2.jpg

Fork_Lift_3.jpg

/ Update To Fun With Solidworks #2  
An excellent looking set of pallet forks if I do say so myself.

Your John Deere should be proud to wear them. :D

/ Update To Fun With Solidworks #3  
What did you use for the cross members where the forks slide on, top and bottom? They dont look like flat plates like on mine. Perhaps thats why my forks dont move so easily.

/ Update To Fun With Solidworks
KTM

For the slides I welded 1" x 1" and 2" x 1/2" cold roll together to form the 'L' shape. I milled stop slots in the upper section prior to welding. I also beveled the rails to conform to the somewhat rounded slots on the forks.

/ Update To Fun With Solidworks #6  
I wish I had the skills some of you folks do. If I can’t do it with a torch, welder, drill and sawzall it doesn’t happen. You guys with mills and lathes leave me in a little bit of aww. That is a very nice piece of craftsmanship, my hat is off to you sir

/ Update To Fun With Solidworks #7  
I like your fabrication! Especially the vertical bars. My forks, bought, have wide horizontal slats that block your view of the fork tips. I've cut some out & was thinking of removing the rest & welding in pipe or rebar to improve the view - now seeing yours I might go with plate on edge.

/ Update To Fun With Solidworks
Timber,

I have to qualify here. I picked up the forks from a salvage yard. I milled the rail at work. One of these days I will have a mill and lathe, but not yet. The hooks and pins I ordered prefabricated from JD Parts. The 4" x 2" tube I had precut by my steel supplier. After all that it just became a jigsaw puzzle.