Upgrading Internet... Wireless Router Question

/ Upgrading Internet... Wireless Router Question #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
So, in order to handle all of the massive pictures that TBN members post, I'm upgrading from a DSL internet service to a high speed canopy system. I'm going from paying for 1.5 mbps and receiving about 0.8 to paying for 1.0 mbps and receiving up to 4.0. I have a few friends and neighbors that are on the same service and they get pretty good speeds.

Here's my question for you network and tech savy tractor buffs: My current wireless network goes through the Actiontec PK5000 DSL modem that came with the Qwest DSL service. I bought it outright, so I own it now. Can I use the wireless capabilities of the DSL modem without using DSL? The modem has worked great for all of our needs.

If I don't use the current modem, the installer recommended a Netgear N300. I notice that the N300 series are wireless N. I have some old hardware on my system that needs 802.11b and 802.11g. Are n routers backwards compatible with b and g? What other features should I look for in an entry level wireless router?

On a side note, I'm glad I left some twine in the holes that I ran the rest of my network cables through last year when I was remodeling my house. I used them when I was running the CAT6 from the broadband receiver on the roof to my network center in the basement.

/ Upgrading Internet... Wireless Router Question #2  
If you turn off DHCP from the configuration website and plug your cable into the LAN ports, you should be fine to use it as a wireless access point. It should work about as well as it has up until this point.

Edit: N routers should work with G, but may not work with B.

Aaron Z

/ Upgrading Internet... Wireless Router Question #3  
I am not a high teck guy. But do use routers in my home and RV.
I have 3 Cradlepoint routers. Very easy to setup and use. No software to install and easy to configure to my needs.
I also have a air card for traveling and use the Cradlepoint's for its feature make the air card a Wi-Fi connection.
In the house I have my Comcast internet hooked to a MBR1000 router. Only one computer in the house is hardwired. All the rest are on Wi-Fi. Have up to 6 computers on it at one time. Oldest son needs all kinds of computer to live.
This router has a good range for all my needs and when I have friend visit my home in thier RV. They are able to hook up with no problems.
Had Lniksys for years. Always seemed to have problems with connections. With the Cradlepoint range is almost double and no hookup problems.
I am sure there are other good routers. But is what has worked good for me.
OOP's forgot link.
Cradlepoint

/ Upgrading Internet... Wireless Router Question
Thanks for the inputs.

I meant to look at the router last night when I was at home to make sure I understood what aczlan was talking about. I forgot to look, but it seems straight forward enough. I anticipate that using the current DSL modem as a router will be a stop gap measure at best. We'll eventually get more appropriate hardware, but we'd like to put it off if we can.

My wife did some looking and found a few routers that advertise a password protected separate network that allows guest access to internet without allowing access to the computer network. I like that option. I know there has been some discussion about how to accomplish the same effect with separate routers, but if I have to buy new hardware anyway I might as well buy a single unit that does all I need it to.

One of the routers with a built in guest network function is the linksys E1200. I'd love to hear reviews or opinions.

/ Upgrading Internet... Wireless Router Question #5  
hmm- you say you going from paying 1.5 to 1.0 and expect to get 4.0 speeds? hmm :rolleyes: your speeds is gonna be controlled by the docsis of the modem.

as for using the wireless built in router, what aczlan failed to mention is that you will be limited to what your new high speed canopy system capabilities will be. Will be be able to assign more then one class C ip address or are you getting a single class A ip address? If you use your old dsl modem as access point meaning you will only be able to connect as many network devices your new high speed canopy system will give you. you will need to turn off Many providers will only give you ONE!
this is why there is a "wan" to take the one IP address from whatever internet provider and share up 254 computers or networked devices on your home network on the "lan" side of the router.
A built in router in modem doesnt have a physical wan point, but you can "see it" from the modem config web page.

If you want to do a plug and play and not worry about how to config your dsl modem as an access point, my advice is go get a new router. you will be much happier and less work. If you are tech savvy, you can do it with your old modem, but all it takes is a small electrical surge from a rain storm to mess up your settings and if you are not home to fix it........:ashamed:

My suggestion? get the best router you can afford for next 5-8 years and dont worry about compatibilty of b and g and n. when you encounter NO connection on your old wireless pc, just plug in your old DSL modem from lan to lan and turn off the dhcp. boom! you have connection of old pc to modem and newer pc thru new router. (well its simple in theory and its been done but to spare details- you have issues of wireless signals in the same room so moving both dsl modem "access point" and new router far apart in another room or something will work. yadda yadda. I can go on all day:confused2:)

/ Upgrading Internet... Wireless Router Question #6  
I'm a long way from being an expert on networks so take it for what it's worth. I also use Qwest and have a Actiontec DSL model supplied by Qwest. Not familar with the model number but on the wireless modem I have, you are very limited to what can be plugged into the modem. My modem has the 2 phone connections and then only a single USB and Ethernet connection. This may not give you the capability others have suggested.

I'll add I've never used this modem as it was left by the previous owners. Do have and use a similar model that is just a router without modem capabilities.

hmm- you say you going from paying 1.5 to 1.0 and expect to get 4.0 speeds? hmm :rolleyes: your speeds is gonna be controlled by the docsis of the modem.

as for using the wireless built in router, what aczlan failed to mention is that you will be limited to what your new high speed canopy system capabilities will be. Will be be able to assign more then one class C ip address or are you getting a single class A ip address? If you use your old dsl modem as access point meaning you will only be able to connect as many network devices your new high speed canopy system will give you. you will need to turn off Many providers will only give you ONE!
this is why there is a "wan" to take the one IP address from whatever internet provider and share up 254 computers or networked devices on your home network on the "lan" side of the router.
A built in router in modem doesnt have a physical wan point, but you can "see it" from the modem config web page.

If you want to do a plug and play and not worry about how to config your dsl modem as an access point, my advice is go get a new router. you will be much happier and less work. If you are tech savvy, you can do it with your old modem, but all it takes is a small electrical surge from a rain storm to mess up your settings and if you are not home to fix it........:ashamed:

My suggestion? get the best router you can afford for next 5-8 years and dont worry about compatibilty of b and g and n. when you encounter NO connection on your old wireless pc, just plug in your old DSL modem from lan to lan and turn off the dhcp. boom! you have connection of old pc to modem and newer pc thru new router. (well its simple in theory and its been done but to spare details- you have issues of wireless signals in the same room so moving both dsl modem "access point" and new router far apart in another room or something will work. yadda yadda. I can go on all day:confused2:)

It may seem counterintuitive that I'm going to a lower bit rate and getting better speeds. The difference is that Qwest sells me a 1.5 mbps maximum speed, but Big Dog (the new guys) sells me a 1.0 minimum speed. Qwest tells me that the absolute maximum speed I'll ever see is 1.5 mbps, and they really don't seem to care much when I tell them I'm only getting 800kbps. Big Dog has guaranteed us that we won't see less than 1.0 mbps, and we can get up to 4.0 mbps for the first 5 mb of any download. The big deal for me is that I'm paying about 30% less for what I expect to be better service.

All I know in response to your concern about a single IP is that the FAQ page for Big Dog says I can use multiple computers. If the cheesy router from Qwest won't do the trick we'll just bite the bullet and get a new one.

If it helps, here's the website for the new guys... Big Dog High Speed Internet

I'm a long way from being an expert on networks so take it for what it's worth. I also use Qwest and have a Actiontec DSL model supplied by Qwest. Not familar with the model number but on the wireless modem I have, you are very limited to what can be plugged into the modem. My modem has the 2 phone connections and then only a single USB and Ethernet connection. This may not give you the capability others have suggested.

I'll add I've never used this modem as it was left by the previous owners. Do have and use a similar model that is just a router without modem capabilities.

Mine is fairly new. It was recently replaced (by Qwest). I have four ethernet ports in addition to the phone in and phone out ports.

Brief update:

I ended up finding a refurbished Linksys E1000 for something like $17.99 shipped. I finally got around to connecting it tonight. We ended up just leaving the old Qwest wireless router connected to the Qwest system until I got the new router. That left us with wireless for our laptops, etc. We're still waiting on the new guys to port our phone number over to the new system, so I have two internet suppliers for a week or so. It's been fun to have them side by side to compare.

We've still never gotten more than a Meg on the old DSL system. I did a speed test once I got the router all connected (about 10 minutes ago), and I got 10.22 mbps download and 3.37 Mbps upload speeds.

On the flip side, though, we've had more outages in the last weekend than we typically get in a month over DSL. I hope this isn't the way it's always going to be.