Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #81  
"Torque = power = speed and working capacity."

Nope, torque times rpm = power = speed and ability to do a given amount of work in an amount of time.

I can apply 300 ft lbs torque to a loader frame mount bolt, but if it is already tight and does not turn I will have done no work.

In a small Diesel engine, the notion of "torque rise" is important. It is the percent differential between peak torque and peak horsepower. When the engine is pulled down from peak horsepower, a closer in peak torque rpm results in a "stronger" appearing engine. A better "torque rise" results in an engine that does not appear to "bog down" as easily. It still is independent of total horsepower and ability to do work.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger
Yeah I was over simplifying a bit. I do know that torque is what feels "fast" though, not necessiarly horsepower since torque is what gives you the "get up and go".

I tried my friend's 1023E last night and mowed with it. Holy crap that thing flies. It seems to mow just fine in high and in low. Even low is way faster than my X320.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #83  
From my perspective either the Deer or Bota in a sub compact will give you more value for your $$$...
I have run a compact tractor the last 21 years mowing 4 to 5 acres...
My ground is approximately 1/2 yard and the other 1/2 is around sheds and barns...
I don't have a lot of obstacles but the ground is rougher than a manicured lawn...
The first tractor was a grey market 1700 Yanmar and my current tractor is a 1720 NH...
I have spent zero dollars on either tractor in 21 years other than regular maintenance and the rear finish mowers that I utilized thus far has required 1 belt and a couple of wheels...
A zero turn IMHO would not have been as durable or cost effective...
You are making the right decision...

That is what I was thinking too. Also I need a better way to push snow, and the subcompact will take care of that too. I wish I had thought of it a few years ago when we first got the house but live and learn.
\

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #85  
Yeah I was over simplifying a bit. I do know that torque is what feels "fast" though, not necessiarly horsepower since torque is what gives you the "get up and go".

I tried my friend's 1023E last night and mowed with it. Holy crap that thing flies. It seems to mow just fine in high and in low. Even low is way faster than my X320.

If the 2305 in low is faster than your x320 then the x320 has some issues.

Are you getting a subcompact with a fel and 3ph now? Did you ever try out an x758?

I tracked it on GPS. The X320 averaged 2-3 mph with the mower engaged, 6 without that, and the 1023E averaged 3-4 in low, and 6-8 in high.

I decided on a subcompact - I have a few projects we could use an FEL for and the cost is about the same as the X758.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #87  
Good luck. In my opinion the bx and 1025r are equal. Slight differences ergonimically. I didn't like the high bx loader control stick. Get whatever makes you feel happy to look at and proud to own. My 1026r isn't less powerful than a bx. He must have had it at idle. Both tractors will spin all four wheels in low range when stalled

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #88  
You have that backwards. You have way better control of speed with a hydro. If you are running a gear tractor at 540 PTO RPM you are stuck with one speed. With a hydro you have anything from nothing to full speed ahead.

Kubota and JD have gear tractors.

X2. No doubt about it.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #89  
Have never used a Bx, but my B7500 has been a good little tractor. The shortness of it makes it a little rough mowing at higher speeds. In all but the tallest, thickest bahia grass, it doesn't lack for power. And that could just be the blades can't discharge the cut grass fast enough to clear themselves.
Have never owned a green tractor. It's been over twenty two years since I have even used one. But I know they make good products. But if it was me, I would go with the orange.

The color of my tractors do not indicate my football likes. Over on Tomahawk Nation, my other blog home, you can't write the words Blue and Orange unless they are preceded by an expletive.

/ Upgrading my lawn tractor to something bigger #90  
I was in exact same position as you, decided on 1026R (now 1025). I thought Deere was a bit more modern in terms of features & smoothness than Kubota, but you can't go wrong with either. Depends on where your dealer is. You already paid the "Green Premium" once, you can sell for a good price & put towards the 1025.

Don't buy too small a tractor - these are too expensive to "do over", you'll love the 1025. I know I do.

Good luck.